You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sunrise from Pulpit Rocks

dhayton

Very nice. Is that straight from the camera, or did you tweak it in Affinity Photo? If the latter, what adjustments did you make?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks for the kind words.

Alfred:

Were my photos like this straight out of the camera, I wouldn't need Affinity Photo. That said, I try not to process too much (and I typically jot down notes when I take a photo like this so later I can dredge up what I thought I was seeing so I don't over process). In this case, here are the adjustments I made:

I typically start by creating a number of luminosity masks for different tonal ranges.

1) used a curves adjustment to darken the shadows in the hills and trees (the camera captured too much dynamic range);

2) used a color balance to bring out the yellow highlights on the trees;

3) used a curves adjustment to lighten the top of the sky (above the looming clouds);

4) used a color balance to bring out some of the tint in the clouds in that light area;

5) used a high pass filter to sharpen the clouds (used a gradient to restrict it to the sky and a luminosity mask to restrict it to the darker clouds).

In each case, the adjustments were light. Once I was in the right place (I had hiked about an hour up to the point) at the right time (I made a cup of coffee and waited about 20 minutes for this scene) and with my camera pointed in the right direction (I guess that goes without saying), I didn't need to do much. Nature had done all the hard work.

Thanks again for viewing and for the compliments.

Darin

Alfred:

Were my photos like this straight out of the camera, I wouldn't need Affinity Photo.

I thought as much, Darin! Since my question was essentially rhetorical, I guess I should have phrased it as such.

Thanks for the further details. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Alfred,

I assumed your question was rhetorical—my comment was meant as a bit of a joke (and the voice in my head as I typed it had that sort of hopeful "if only" tone). In any case, I hope my comments gave you an idea of what I did.

Best,

Darin