You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Need feedback on some sketches

pixxelgoat

Hi,

Last month I finished my course as UX Designer. At the same time I launched my portfolio website using Semplice (some sort of WordPress tool). After two or three weeks I needed my website to be more professional with UX in mind, so I stripped most of its elements. But now it's too empty, bland, ugly.

You can find my website here.

So, while that ugly piece of crap is up and running I'm redesigning its looks. But now I'm running in circles and I need some feedback on the sketches that I made last week. Could you guys/girls gimme some? Obviously it needs more content, better photos and the text is just some copy/paste stuff.

You are appreciated.

post-17676-0-25241500-1463404903_thumb.png

post-17676-0-65625800-1463404907_thumb.png

post-17676-0-96760800-1463404911_thumb.png

post-17676-0-63610900-1463404915_thumb.png

post-17676-0-84426300-1463404919_thumb.png

post-17676-0-73391200-1463404923_thumb.png

The first set, with the greenish to purple gradient -- the colors are too intense for my eyes, but it is attractive in any case. The photo would work if it was masked and filled with a semi-transparent white (so the gradient would be muted in the "clear" areas of the photo. I believe that PNG can export masks that are semi-transparent.

Are all of these images for the same portfolio or different sites entirely? Are the pages themselves what the portfolio "contains"? Assuming that they are for the same site and will contain images of your work, there's no visual "through-line" on these pages. Taken as a whole, there's no unifying visual theme amongst them. TBH, they all look like dozens of responsive websites I've seen since "responsive" became the new "cool thing." Not to say they aren't serviceable, they are and should showcase whatever they're selling. But as something that's promoting your work, the landing page (which I'm assuming is the one with the green-purple gradient) should sizzle more than a "mere" gradient can do. Maybe adding some kind of header/navigation at the top of the page could unify the pages a bit more. The newest version of WordPress (at least at this writing, they update so often...) has a attribute to add a logo/masthead to pages. Perhaps by adding a "branding" mark could help. 

Can't really give any more feedback, mostly because all those pages look, to me, as if they are the middle part of a large page and I'm missing the top and bottom of them.

hope this helps.

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

Thanks for your feedback, Mike.

I should've been more elaborated about the sketches; these are all sketches of the same landing page. The landing page should start with the work I've done (or at least a list of projects). No welcome whatsoever.

The different sketches kinda resemble different styles. I'm not sure with which style I should go with. Like, should I go with the current trend and use gradients through my entire portfolio or stick with a more conventional style. Should I go with yellowish background or with a dark grey background with serif fonts. One thing's for sure, I'll be using 'D | H' as my logo. So that could influence the style that I should go with.

Oh. Got it. In that case, the 5th one -- grey toned photo of some kind of construction site or some such. I think that will show off the content better by virtue of it not being colorful. It's like you don't want the frame of a painting to compete with it by being more busy or colorful. To me that background infers building and activity more than the others. And to make different sections different you can either lighten or darken that bg picture. And the logo will work with the background as it's geometric and the background echoes it without being repetitive. Hope that makes sense.

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?