You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop tool is Trial Version is not Working

Hello and thank you 

I am new to Affinity and am just on the Trial version which seems like a Lite version when compared to the larger menu in the Tutorial Video. 

That aside, the crop function seems disabled for me. I click on the crop tool and the Tutorial tells me the handle bars will appear, but nothing appears and no amount of clicking or dragging, or anything is creating a response. 

Please help! I am helpless without Photoshop to run my business, and believe Affinity will be my new darling, but what is going on?

hifire

The trial version is identical to the retail one, except of course that it will only run for 10 days. I don't know what you mean by "larger menu" but if you are having trouble finding tools note that some of them share the same icon in the tool palette, so to access them you need to click on the triangle in the corner of the icon so the others will fly out in a sub-palette.

If the vector crop tool in Affinity Designer doesn't do anything, it probably means you do not have a vector (curve or shape) layer selected.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you for responding. 

I have attached a file here and you will see that the menu bar is not loaded with all the same tools as what the Beginner Tutorial Version has. 

You will also see that the crop tool is selected here and there is no grid on the image. 

Perplexed and grateful for your help.

hifire

post-30660-0-74082200-1463408570_thumb.png

If the vector crop tool in Affinity Designer doesn't do anything, it probably means you do not have a vector (curve or shape) layer selected.

R C-R, I am not sure this is correct. I just tried it on pixel layers and image layers and it works fine.

I have attached a file here and you will see that the menu bar is not loaded with all the same tools as what the Beginner Tutorial Version has. 

You will also see that the crop tool is selected here and there is no grid on the image. 

From what I can tell from your screen shot, you have a jpeg file opened in Affinity Designer, & the vector crop tool selected. Since jpegs are raster (bitmap) files & not vectors, as I said earlier I suspect you do not have a vector object (curve or geometric shape) selected, if indeed you have added any vector layers to this jpeg file.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

R C-R, I am not sure this is correct. I just tried it on pixel layers and image layers and it works fine.

Are you using Designer or Photo? As far as I know, Designer has only a vector crop tool & unlike the crop tool in Photo it will only crop (or move) selected vector objects.

Affinity Photo 

Designer. I understand that in AD, the crop tool is different in many ways, but in terms of making a pixel or image layer not visible, it is possible in AD. I would like to see an overlay preview though.

Hiding a part of a pixel or image layer with a rectangular mask created with the AD vector crop tool is not the same thing as cropping a document with the AP crop tool, which globally affects all layers, changing the document's dimensions.

Affinity Photo 

RC-R you made it sound like you needed to have a vector in a layer in order for the vector crop tool to work, whether its cropping a document or object, I was just saying that the crop tool in AD can work on a pixel or image layer. That is all.

Hey hifire,

I fear there was some confusion about the apps and tools you are actually talking about.

• From your screen shot I conclude that you are using the Vector Crop Tool in Affinity Designer. And this tool does nothing but add a rectangular vector mask to a selected layer, be it a pixel layer, an image object or a vector layer. The layer type is immaterial for using this tool, but the tool will never work on your document as a whole, but only on a single layer within the document. That is to say, you cannot crop the document to a certain size by using this tool.
  • On the other hand, the tutorial you are talking about certainly shows the capabilities of the Crop Tool in Affinity Photo. I conclude this from the fact that you are missing the “grid overlay.” And unlike the tool of your screenshot, the tool in Affinity Photo does not affect a single document layer, but the document itself. A similar tool is not available in Affinity Designer at the moment.

Unfortunately, both tools have exactly the same icon, but perform very different functions. Hope that helps …  :)

Alex

post-1198-0-13620700-1463423398_thumb.png

post-1198-0-37740200-1463423602_thumb.png

Oh my, you all are completely right, I am in Affinity DESIGNER trial!  Well shucks, I typed in Affinity Photo and pressed download Trial version, so Im not sure what happened there. 

So, I will start over and find the Photo app and maybe it will all make more sense to me! 

Thank you all. So basic....like "is your cord plugged into your computer."  

My apologies, sorry to waste time. 

hifire

RC-R you made it sound like you needed to have a vector in a layer in order for the vector crop tool to work...

Yes, I see that now & apologize for any confusion that might have caused.

Affinity Photo