You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

External Editor for Photos

Affinität

In the Mac App Store there is a (new?) App for Apples Photos App called "external editor for Photos". It enables you to use any editor (e.g. Affinity!) to open directly out of the Photos App and save directly there. To me this is perfect! I guess there are more people that can use it. And it is only 99 cent.

Thanks MEB. Presumably that means edit a raw and you get a tiff sent back, which is not so bad as Photos keeps a copy of the raw. Is it possible to edit say a tiff and save as a jpeg? This extension seems the sort of functionality Apple should have built in the first place, although the saving of layered tiff is essential really!

• Staff

No, If you send a RAW file the extension can't keep track of it because it has to be exported in another format from Affinity. You have to convert the RAW to TIFF or JPG using the extension (there's a dropdown where you can chose the format you want to convert to - see screenshot) then send to Affinity Photo. After editing in Affinity Photo just go to menu File ▸ Save, select Save Flattened from the dialog that will appear and the photo will be sent back to the extension in the same format. Then the extension saves it again in Apple Photos as a JPG (which kinda defeats the purpose of using TIFF in first place) unless i'm missing something.

post-59-0-80879400-1463154107_thumb.png

• 6 months later...

The latest version of Affinity Photo (1.4.3 and maybe the 1.5.0 beta too) now show up directly in the Extensions menu.

Just click the "More..." option and then check the "Edit in Affinity Photo" option. It will then be listed in the Extensions menu and will take the image directly to Photo to be edited.

You no longer need the "External Editors" extension to get to Affinity Photo.  Thanks Affinity!

The latest version of Affinity Photo (1.4.3 and maybe the 1.5.0 beta too) now show up directly in the Extensions menu.

Just click the "More..." option and then check the "Edit in Affinity Photo" option. It will then be listed in the Extensions menu and will take the image directly to Photo to be edited.

You no longer need the "External Editors" extension to get to Affinity Photo.  Thanks Affinity!

This does NOT appear to be true. I only see Affinity Photo Extensions in the choices. Not the app itself. "Edit in Affinity Photo" does not appear in my list. I do NOT see a way yet to open Affinity Photo from within the Photos app.

• Staff

Hi Sarvasri,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Edit in Affinity Photo extension is only available in Affinity Photo 1.5 which is not out yet (in the Mac App Store). It will be available in a couple weeks, maybe sooner. Currently you have to install Affinity Photo 1.5 RC1 (release candidate) to have access to it.

• 8 months later...

Hi, 

so working in Photo app for Mac using Affinity as Extension (also using Edit in Affinity Photo to use the full power of Affinity), every time i save a photo it's saved as jpeg back to Photo ?

Why instead I see that Photo continue to show only the original RAW file with the same original size ...

I'm a bit confused ...