You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm just wondering if there is a manual.

I'm excited about Affinity Photo, but I really hate video tutorials.  They take way too long.  I just need to quickly read how the crop or gradient tools are controlled, being an advanced Photoshop user.

Thanks,

• Staff

Hi NapaArtist,

If you go to Help > Affinity Photo Help towards the top of the program you will get a help window appear. In here you can search for individual tools and it will give you a brief explanation of what they do and how to use them. We are making a user manual but it isn't ready just yet!

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

There is one book on Affinity but it is in German. It would be nice if someone translated it to English. My 2 years of German in high school don't quite let me translate the text. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, would strongly recommend that Affinity stop playing with tutorial videos and try to pass them off as a user manual.  The product has a lot to offer, but it is not intuitive.  Having years or Photoshop experience, like NapaArtist, I too don't want to waste time with the videos.

So... Staff of Affinity.  Why can't you put a User Manual out?

• Staff

I, too, would strongly recommend that Affinity stop playing with tutorial videos and try to pass them off as a user manual.  The product has a lot to offer, but it is not intuitive.  Having years or Photoshop experience, like NapaArtist, I too don't want to waste time with the videos.

We're not trying to pass the tutorial videos off as a substitute for a user manual; many people find them useful and they're a very powerful way of quickly illustrating techniques and key features.

We are currently working on a user manual for Affinity Designer, and one for Photo will be coming in the near future. Producing a detailed, comprehensive book that justifies its price takes time and a lot of hard work. Rest assured, we are working on them.

In the meantime, we endeavour to keep the help updated, and all the tools are documented there. If you don't have time to watch video tutorials, a quick search of the help is the best way to quickly check how a tool works.

Hope that helps.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Actually I am one of those people that really likes the videos but a user manual would also be nice.

Different strokes for different folks! :)

Actually, the photo side of Affinity works like most of the photo apps so the manual is less needed.  The Affinity Design is even more complex, and more unusual.  A user manual for that would be greatly appreciated.  It would be nice to be able to search this blog to find certain topics too.  Is there a search function that works?

• 1 month later...

Hi NapaArtist,

If you go to Help > Affinity Photo Help towards the top of the program you will get a help window appear. In here you can search for individual tools and it will give you a brief explanation of what they do and how to use them. We are making a user manual but it isn't ready just yet!

C

I am another new user who would love to see a users manual. It is just so much easier to have a pdf manual opened on my iPad while working within the program on my iMac

• 6 years later...

Maybe you could skip a training manual if videos comprised more of a straightforward but continuous process--and that position themselves within the app interface. One popular 'competitor' with fewer features & far more challenging to customize uses a built-in tutorial--one that doesn't require repositioning and resizing to work simultaneously with the actual app interface. Others even file the practice 'sandbox' as a separate file that won't reset all previous settings for existing project files. I can see a lot of great stuff on Affinity-pub that gives most other alternatives a real run for the money. But getting to the point of usability is difficult with the 60-some videos you have now that have to operate within a particular standard browser that puts back the browser command line every time you leave it to try something from the vid on the actual app.