You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi everyone!

Perhaps it's just me, but I can't get wacom's grip pen tilt sensor to work with the brushes.

I was trying with the DAUB markers (the one with the "vertical" shape). I can get pressure sensitivity, but no tilt for changing the shape rotation ... Is this possible?

Thanks.

DAUB Markers are not set to deal with Tilt but I left the Rotation Jitter empty just to leave this option open to users.

markersTilt.png

Now some clarifications.

Tilt is usually the angle between your pen and tablet surface (or its complementary).

The one that allows you this

strokes.gif

To be more precise there are three angles dealing with pen/paper interaction, using Serif's notation:

img01-1.png

If your pen tablet supports those Affinity allows to bind them to different Jitters.

All Wacom pens support Tilt (that Affinity splits correctly into Tilt and Angle )

Only Wacom Art Pen support Rotation (which is basically pen's barrel rotation, so shape rotation).

In the case of Markers it is a design matter: the very best marker dynamic cannot yet be reproduced, in particular chisel-shaped ones.

Chisel-shaped markers allow different strokes depending on:

Barrel orientation - And it is OK

Can be bound easily to Rotation, but you need a Wacom Art Pen to reproduce this.

Tilting angles 

These are available, but they should be bound to the Shape Jitter to shrink/enlarge your nozzle in order to reproduce the correct chisel intersection with paper. Unfortunately Shape Jitter currently works only for Round brushes and Square brushes, not for Texture Intensity brushes.

A square brush is the best shape to approximate a chisel nib, but unfortunately this type of brush doesn't support yet Rotation Jitter.

So the best solution so far is a Round brush.

Unfortunately texture would not be that best, but if you're more interested in dynamic this should not matter.

Anyway, being there, I'd expect Shape Jitter as new feature sooner or later.

Moreover I'd suggest to split it into Horizontal Shape distortion and Vertical Shape distortion to have more possibilities.

When those are ready I'll provide an upgrade to this set!  :)

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

You're welcome!

I just made some errata corrige.

Shape Jitter works for Round and Square brushes.

Rotation works only for Texture and Round ones.

Soon I'll add a tutorial to make a dynamic marker using a simple round brush.

@evtonic3

Thank you, you're very kind but as you can see my knowledge is not that best...  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok folks,

this is a basic dynamic marker, that works with Tilt, Rotation (Wacom ArtPen needed) and has some colour dynamic too.

I've decided to show you how it works binding Tilt to Size.

dynamicMarker.jpg

As you can see Affinity tracks the full 180° Tilt angle in its ramp, and in order to have a correct response we have to shrink the range as shown.

So if our chisel shaped "marker" is perpendicular to our canvas it will be thin, then gradually (with a linear ramp) increase its size as we tilt it.

Here you can find this brush.

Hope you'll enjoy it!

• 6 months later...

Is it still broken in AP (Windows)?

I bought your pencil pack and the ones with tilt option don't work correctly. I was changing the curve of the Rotation Jitter bound to the Angle of my pen (Intuos 5 touch) for like 2 hours and it's always rotating at the top half correctly and at the bottom half the other way around (mirrored, which is wrong), or vice versa.

Or is it just me not able to correctly draw the curve?  :huh:

Is it still broken in AP (Windows)?

I bought your pencil pack and the ones with tilt option don't work correctly. I was changing the curve of the Rotation Jitter bound to the Angle of my pen (Intuos 5 touch) for like 2 hours and it's always rotating at the top half correctly and at the bottom half the other way around (mirrored, which is wrong), or vice versa.

Or is it just me not able to correctly draw the curve?  :huh:

For Size please use Tilt instead of Angle.

Angle is not the natural way to produce a shading effect, also it is a bit difficult to use.

I would bind it to a bristle brush more than a pencil.

I'm curious, why do you want to bind the nib Rotation to Angle?

Thanks Paolo!

So if you have a standard Bamboo tablet (mine is a few years old), then the pen is also standard and won't support barrel rotation as described above.

Is there a way to create manual barrel rotation using keys though? - For instance to replicate the way you would hold a pen nib (and I'm left handed)?

Thanks Paolo!

So if you have a standard Bamboo tablet (mine is a few years old), then the pen is also standard and won't support barrel rotation as described above.

Is there a way to create manual barrel rotation using keys though? - For instance to replicate the way you would hold a pen nib (and I'm left handed)?

You're welcome.

It doesn't seem possible to me so far...

Shortcuts are only for size and opacity.

For Size please use Tilt instead of Angle.

Angle is not the natural way to produce a shading effect, also it is a bit difficult to use.

I would bind it to a bristle brush more than a pencil.

I'm curious, why do you want to bind the nib Rotation to Angle?

No no, Paolo. I'm trying to bind the nib Angle to the Rotation of the brush.

In your image above I see that the Angle of the Grip Pen is a circle ranging from 0° to 360°. Means, if I tilt my Pen, I could make a full circle around its tip, right? I wanted to use this data (the angle) to rotate the texture (nozzle) of your shading pencil. This way the texture would always look away from the tilt direction of my pen.

Now, the good thing is, the texture is rotating in sync with my pen. The bad thing is, it does so the first half of the circle (I guess from 0° to 180°). The second half (from 181° to 360°), it's rotating backwards, in the opposite direction. I thought, the curve would fix this. I made many variations, but none of them made it better.

I have no issues using Tilt with Size. I followed your tutorial and limited the Tilt range to 90° and it works perfectly. Thanks a lot!

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, I tried every single configuration. I found out which vertical axis of the curve affects texture rotation at which direction of the tilt, and there is always a tilt which rotates the brush in the wrong direction, no matter what I do. And combining both options, Size<->Tilt and Rotation<->Angle, makes it even worse and makes no sense at all. So, it is better to use them separately. That's why I think that AP/AD's binding of pen tilt information to brush properties is broken.

Later I'm gonna post a small tutorial on how to use the Rotation<->Angle.

Hmmm....

Please check this video.

For this brush I linked Tilt > Size and Rotation > Angle as you described, and they work together fine.

The only issue I see is a slight shape distortion.

Tilt works as for the brush I shared in this discussion.

Angle is set with the V shaped linear ramp I was speaking above.

Is this the behaviour you're searching for?

If so I could go deeper in explanations.

In your image above I see that the Angle of the Grip Pen is a circle ranging from 0° to 360°

I missed this point... I'll try to explain it better.

In my picture Angle (orange)  is a 0° to 180° value

For Affinity

Angle is a 0° to 180° value > Horizontal inclination of your pen

Rotation is a 0° to 360° value > The rotation of the pen barrel (only Wacom ArtPen supports this)

Tilt is a 0° to 180° value > Vertical Inclination of your pen

Rotation is also the parameter that changes the orientation of your brush nozzle (General Settings).

The notation is consistent but could lead to confusion, because to have a pen barrel response you have to bind Rotation to Rotation

• 7 months later...
On 12/11/2016 at 7:50 PM, SONB said:

I'm having difficulty in getting to the bottom of a conundrum I have regarding the interaction between AP's dynamic brush settings and Wacom's Art Pen (the one that supports rotation. I wonder if you have time to point me in the direction or any tutorials or help files, as I cannot really find anything that satisfies my queries.  I'll do my best to be as clear as possible.

I understand the difference between tilt, angle and rotation. Despite the very clear gifs and information on this thread (thanks Paolo), I found the angle interpretation a bit confusing as the orange angle part of the diagram is not in the 'flat' plane of the tablet/page, but in some plane between the page horizontal and the vertical so that threw me of course a little bit :)

I need to understand if I have this right. It's best explained in a scenario: I hold my pen (imagine a flat chisel shape brush or felt pen or marker etc. (not angled, but it could be)) and I have the flat bottom of the tip touching the page; I have a natural Angle and Tilt of this pen in the real world. My intention is to set Dynamics up so I can replicate this on the screen, as if they are one and the same. The problem I am finding is that as I bind rotation to rotation, I do not get a natural sweep as if I were doing it in real life. Infact, binding pen Angle to the Rotation of the cursor tip is more accurate., But as SONB has said here, it just doesn't give us a full 360 rotation of the curso tip as it should. I think it's only 180. 

On 12/15/2016 at 3:01 PM, SONB said:

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, I tried every single configuration. I found out which vertical axis of the curve affects texture rotation at which direction of the tilt, and there is always a tilt which rotates the brush in the wrong direction, no matter what I do. And combining both options, Size<->Tilt and Rotation<->Angle, makes it even worse and makes no sense at all. So, it is better to use them separately. That's why I think that AP/AD's binding of pen tilt information to brush properties is broken.

Later I'm gonna post a small tutorial on how to use the Rotation<->Angle.

Further to this, there is a need I have found to be able to bind both Rotation AND Angle to the cursor tip angle and for there to be a combination of the two.. This is because you can't really draw 360 deg, or a circle, with the tip flat to the paper surface at all times without using both rotation and angle (unless you have a compass or a very large bit of paper). Your wrist just doesn't work like that. The Angle helps stop judder of the tip and helps you rotate the nib round to complete the curve.  The rotation is necessary and just occurs naturally to keep the flat end down on the page. See next post for images to show what I mean.

Despite there being an 'unnaturalness' to the movements I am well aware that digital drawing and painting is not the same as the real world. But it tries soooooo hard to be!