You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[ADe] Perspective Tool

I believe having a perspective tool is something to look at. I just come to Designer from CorelDraw but I still have to use the perspective tool in Corel. using the skew function in Designer doesn't allow you to get accurate results.

Hi Fantom,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Perspective / distortion Tools are already planned for Designer. Check Affinity Designer's roadmap for more info.

Searching that topic for 'perspective' only turns up discussions about the 'power duplicate' feature and vanishing points, not about the introduction of an actual Perspective Tool.

By the way, could someone please tweak the CSS for these forums? In the search box at the top of each page, the light grey text on a slightly lighter grey background is almost impossible to read.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks, Miguel. The Perspective Tool and the Blend Tool are two DrawPlus features that I would particularly have liked to see in CraftArtist. I hope that both of these will soon find their way into Affinity Designer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 4 months later...

I would be VERY interested in a method to set a vanishing point, but I suspect that will not be easy as AD will need some indication that you're busy drawing a horizontal that need to comply with the angles that a vanishing point dictates - I think drawing VP-related lines is almost going to be separate functionality which has to mesh (sorry) with the mesh and warp tools too.

Meanwhile I'll just do this old school ;) .

To quote Ashleigh Brilliant: "I have no solution, but I admire the problem."   :P

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

Hi all, there is another discussion thread on perspective tool, somewhat:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/25749-mas-15/?hl=embed&p=122323

Take a look @ this video, the software used was Carapace by Epic Games:

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/videos/perspective-grid-utility/

Both the iOS Procreate app and Carapace can create vanishing points on the fly. But it seems, in Carapace, the cool part would be to create/extrapolate perspective lines by tracing an existing object, 1:50 to 2:00, for example.

In my opinion, AD/AP could and should have these features and also making the perspective grids snappable.

What says Serif? Are they already working on a neat solution like Carapace's? Would you be able to comment/find out for us, MEB?

I sure hope for a nice surprise! And I don't think I'm alone in this regard.

On 08/10/2016 at 11:27 PM, Sarizad said:

Hi all, there is another discussion thread on perspective tool, somewhat:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/25749-mas-15/?hl=embed&p=122323

Take a look @ this video, the software used was Carapace by Epic Games:

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/videos/perspective-grid-utility/

Both the iOS Procreate app and Carapace can create vanishing points on the fly. But it seems, in Carapace, the cool part would be to create/extrapolate perspective lines by tracing an existing object, 1:50 to 2:00, for example.

I think the power of AD would be welcome in the world of game creation, and adding this to AD would indeed be magical.  

Anyway, I agree with your suggestion to move this discussion to the other thread you mentioned at https://affinity.ser...bed&p=122323:)

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

• Staff

These things have already been thought about..... not saying much more right now.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 2 months later...