You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Question about exporting in Affinity Designer

1) I made a fairly complex graphic with probably 200+ layers and I aim to animate this graphic, probably in After Effects.

I named all my elements and organised them in folders and subfolders so it would be easy to identify what is what when it comes to creating the animation. I'm pretty new to After Effects, so learning how to pull files from Illustrator and move forward.

The problem I have is:

If I export (to .eps, .pdf or .svg) all the folders vanish. In Illustrator there is simply one folder with all the various layers in it (I'm on Illustrator CC 2015 v.19). If find Illustrator's interface a nightmare. Do I really have to go through 200+layers and put them in folders all over again?

2) Do you have any recommendations for programs other than After Effects (which is great, but very complex for my needs) that would work well in animating something produced in AD?

@Leigh. My error on the layers. I had two versions of Illustrator on my system, including an old one, and I missed that the old one, not the new, was opening by default. Please excuse me this idiotic mistake. In the newer version (2015), layers, folders, are retained.

Any thoughts on my side question: recommendations for programs other than After Effects to animate vector graphics?

• Staff

@Leigh. My error on the layers. I had two versions of Illustrator on my system, including an old one, and I missed that the old one, not the new, was opening by default. Please excuse me this idiotic mistake. In the newer version (2015), layers, folders, are retained.

No worries - happy that you've sorted it :)

Any thoughts on my side question: recommendations for programs other than After Effects to animate vector graphics?

It's not an app that I would use, sorry. You might get more suggestions by starting a new thread just for that question :)