You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm a little confused about how Designer relates to Photo (which isn't out yet, I take it), since Designer seems to have bitmap editing. But I'm ready to toss the dice pending a little clarity on this big question:

One recent Photoshop feature that I'm using heavily is Generator - I'd say it has made my life easier than any feature since they added layers! Yes, I'm that old.

I wouldn't expect Designer to have the same functionality exactly and generate images from layers with ___.png names in imported Photoshop files. BUT, if I'm ready to start building new files and manually convert my legacy .psd files as needed, is there any similar kind of thing in Designer? Or if not, what's the nearest thing/easiest way to set up object or layer exports?

Edit - I found the export tutorial, looks like a reasonable solution for now. I hope that Affinity considers something frictionless like Generator in the future though. Just using filename extensions (with a syntax for settings options) as Generator does is brilliant - no bouncing between multiple windows to set up export of the same object – and I know I've always got the current version of everything at all times, without having to open/find/target an "export" button.

It may seem unreasonable to be dissatisfied about those "little" workflow differences, but with the projects and workflow I have, the click object, target settings window, choose multiple widgets to create settings, remember to push a button to export process will actually make me take a pretty big productivity hit compared to Generator. And surprisingly, it suddenly feels like a kind of archaic UX model by comparison, for an otherwise shiny new program.

Cheers

Allen

Not sure if this helps but the next update to Affinity Designer is going to have a Continuous Export feature. More information can be found here

Oh, it really does – that's the tipping point, I'm ready to give it a full spin to see how much of my PS/AI workflows I can fit into it. Thanks!