You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I want to buy, but not via iTunes.

Guys,

I love your product. But I would prefer to purchase through my PayPal account because thats where I do most of my business transactions. iTunes does not support paypal and therefore very frustrating experience. Is there any way to purchase? I'm pretty sure a few days ago I could and now its just changed!

Please help!

I agree, I want to find out why Affinity Photo is about $15,83 more expensive on the South African store than on the US site. Are we in some way richer than the US store. $15,83 is about the price of a new york bestseller book. So I want to find out why, we have to pay so much more. It was not like this, this jump happened after I bought Affinity designer, for the price that was equal to the US price????

• Staff

I agree, I want to find out why Affinity Photo is about $15,83 more expensive on the South African store than on the US site. Are we in some way richer than the US store. $15,83 is about the price of a new york bestseller book. So I want to find out why, we have to pay so much more. It was not like this, this jump happened after I bought Affinity designer, for the price that was equal to the US price????

Hi Pixellight ,

We give Apple the band that we would like the App to be in and they set the price per region unfortunately its not something that we have any control over.  If you would like to find out more please see this post from one of our developers explaining this further.

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

If you would like to find out more please see this post from one of our developers explaining this further.

I'm not sure exactly which post in that 5 page topic you mean, & I quickly decided it wasn't worth wading through the entire thing to separate the "wheat from the chaff" (to put it as kindly as I can!), but regarding why pricing varies from country to country, there is more to it than just currency conversion rates.

A major factor often overlooked is the costs of doing business in different countries (& even different regions within a single country) are not the same. For example, almost every government imposes certain regulations on companies doing business within their jurisdiction, potentially including everything from record keeping for local tax & tariff purposes to complying with consumer rights laws, & even to various forms of protectionism designed to favor local businesses over foreign ones.

Because the costs associated with meeting these requirements are in part dependent on sales volume, the result is usually that the price is lower in countries with higher sales than currency rates alone would suggest.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I'm not sure exactly which post in that 5 page topic you mean, & I quickly decided it wasn't worth wading through the entire thing to separate the "wheat from the chaff" (to put it as kindly as I can!), but regarding why pricing varies from country to country, there is more to it than just currency conversion rates.

A major factor often overlooked is the costs of doing business in different countries (& even different regions within a single country) are not the same. For example, almost every government imposes certain regulations on companies doing business within their jurisdiction, potentially including everything from record keeping for local tax & tariff purposes to complying with consumer rights laws, & even to various forms of protectionism designed to favor local businesses over foreign ones.

Because the costs associated with meeting these requirements are in part dependent on sales volume, the result is usually that the price is lower in countries with higher sales than currency rates alone would suggest.

You do know all Apple's profits go directly to the cayman islands or ireland to avoid tax right?

To apple, there is no such thing as a local government or having to pay tax on profits. 

Just look at the panama leak ...

dst18,

Wow, just wow. You do know that what Apple does is not illegal, right? There is a difference between illegal and unethical. What does Apple's clever tax avoidance (notice, not tax evasion) have to do with you not using iTunes? If you are so against Apple, then why are you using Apple products at all? If you truly believe in your convictions then you should start using Linux. I would say Windows too but I'm sure that they, like most other rational companies, are also doing their best to avoid paying taxes. I think you have forgotten that a company's goal is to make profit, not pay taxes. I'm not saying that they shouldn't pay taxes but it is in their best interest to pay as little as they can. They owe it to their stockholders and as long as they do it legally then more power to them. You should be focusing your anger on the government leaders in the US (especially the lame members of Congress, who are supposed to write the laws but as of late don't appear to be doing anything constructive) and the government leaders in the E.U. countries to make them close the loopholes that allow companies and the super rich to avoid paying taxes. 

As well, what do the Panama Papers have to do with the Cayman Islands or Ireland? The Panama Papers are about money being kept in Panama. 

Hokusai

To apple, there is no such thing as a local government or having to pay tax on profits. 

Not exactly. For example, because Apple has a physical retail presence in Texas (the Apple Stores), the state of Texas collects directly from Apple sales taxes on everything the company sells here, including online purchases. Apple is subject to all provisions of the Texas Workers Compensation Act for all employees working in Texas, including at the state's retail stores & at the sprawling Austin TX campus.

Apple must comply with a variety of local, state, & Federal laws concerning such things as mandatory product recycling, consumer rights, payroll taxes, & even how long they must maintain a stock of repair parts for hardware products. 

As for taxes on profits, it isn't that Apple doesn't pay anything to the IRS on profits derived from U.S. operations; it is that it pays at a lower effective rate by taking advantage of U.S. tax laws concerning offshore tax deferrals. (For example, they paid the IRS about $2.5 billion in FY 2012.)

There is still more to it than that but the point remains that like for any other international company Apple's cost of doing business varies considerably by country. Since those costs are passed on to its customers, where sales volumes are high they are a smaller fraction of the price than where sales volumes are low.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

dst18,

Wow, just wow. You do know that what Apple does is not illegal, right? There is a difference between illegal and unethical. What does Apple's clever tax avoidance (notice, not tax evasion) have to do with you not using iTunes? If you are so against Apple, then why are you using Apple products at all? If you truly believe in your convictions then you should start using Linux. I would say Windows too but I'm sure that they, like most other rational companies, are also doing their best to avoid paying taxes. I think you have forgotten that a company's goal is to make profit, not pay taxes. I'm not saying that they shouldn't pay taxes but it is in their best interest to pay as little as they can. They owe it to their stockholders and as long as they do it legally then more power to them. You should be focusing your anger on the government leaders in the US (especially the lame members of Congress, who are supposed to write the laws but as of late don't appear to be doing anything constructive) and the government leaders in the E.U. countries to make them close the loopholes that allow companies and the super rich to avoid paying taxes. 

As well, what do the Panama Papers have to do with the Cayman Islands or Ireland? The Panama Papers are about money being kept in Panama. 

Hokusai

You know Tax evasion IS illegal, right? Apple is being forced to pay millions to governments for the same reasons and its only just beginning. Australian law has already taken steps and countries in the EU have already fined Apple for tax evasion.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/apple-accused-8bn-tax-evasion-european-commission-probe-1538299

http://budget.gov.au/2016-17/content/glossies/tax_super/html/tax_super-01.htm

Panama papers also have a lot more then panama. Please do your research.

dst118,

Yes, I know that tax evasion is illegal but in most of the countries that Apple operates in they are not doing anything illegal, they are doing tax avoidance (which is quite different from tax evasion). Sure they were fined in Italy and they may be fined later but as far as I know they have only been fined in Italy (there may be another country or two but it isn't very many compared to the total number of countries that Apple operates in). Are you sure you read the link you posted? Here is the opening line from your link "Apple has been accused of tax evasion amounting to over $8 bn", and this is "accused" only in a probe, not a court of law. I'm just curious, you said "Apple is being forced to pay millions to governments for the same reasons and its only just beginning". Are you Taxstradomas?  ;)

I think it is great that countries like Australia are trying to stop this kind of behavior and I'm not condoning by any means but the fact of the matter is, it is legal in many (if not most) of the countries around the world right now. Should it be illegal? I don't know but it should at least be curtailed some but in order for that to happen, then laws will have to be changed. If the laws change and if Apple doesn't abide by the new laws then they should be punished but for now, it is fair game. As for the Panama papers, I did read about them quite extensively and yes I know that it isn't limited only to Panama but it is mostly Panama. Maybe I missed something but I have never read anything concerning the Panama Papers that included Cayman Islands or Ireland.

You failed to answer my question as to "what does Apple's clever tax lowering scheme have to do with you not using iTunes"? In regards to using the iTunes store to purchase Affinity products, it works well and what does it matter? If you are using an Apple computer then you are supporting Apple (unless you bought it used and you never buy anything from Apple). 

Hokusai