You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm getting a large block of space when I export a logo. It was originally created in illustrator. When I open it in Affinity Photo it looks fine (no added space above) When I set the Transparent background choice it looks fine. But when I export as a png or jpg I get this large space above the object. I'm using the latest version of APhoto 1.4.1 Here is what it looks like

http://www.screencast.com/t/hJhcRi427s

Thanks for any clues as to why this is happening.

Ive attached the original file as well

Martial Arts Basics Logo On Light.ai

Hi @edferrigan,

the problem is within the Ai file.

There is some kind of nonsense shape placed where your top image boundaries ends.

You can't see it in APhoto, because it sets the document size to the artboard size in Ai file.

However, opened in ADesigner you can clearly see the object (see the attachment).

Should be fine if you just delete it from the layers panel :)

post-28293-0-36714100-1462832255_thumb.png

Tiny "orphaned" curves like that often appear in vector files I import into AD & it drives me crazy trying to find & eliminate them all.

I don't know if they all originally come from .ai documents though. One of my ongoing hobby projects is extracting device drawings from pdf versions of the owner's manuals of some of the products I own. (This is so I can make one page "cheat sheets" for some non-technical people who use them.)

From that, I have learned that a lot of these product vector drawings have hundreds of extraneous curves, I think usually because an illustrator used one master drawing showing both interior & exterior parts, plus arrows & callout shapes, & just masked the items not needed for one or another illustration.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hmm, interesting. I import PDFs and AIs quite a lot and never ran into a problem like this. I'll keep my eye on it ;)

I mostly see this with pdf product manuals I have downloaded from the web, most recently for a Samsung laser printer.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Illustrator CS5 (and probably all later versions) has a Stray Point select option. It's easy to generate these stray points by mistake, and they are invisible. 

Does that work on more than single points, like for example on two node lines? From what I can tell, Affinity won't create single point objects -- you have to create at least two nodes to create a curve, & I think it may even purge single "orphaned" points on import.

Affinity Photo 

Single points in Illustrator are usually the result of random and unintended clicks with the (vector) pen tool. In my experience they do cause the extended "image" area edferrigan has mentioned, and until the single point search appeared it was a nuisance tracking them down. Just an idea, that's all...  :(  If Affinity doesn't allow single points that is all to the good!

If Affinity doesn't allow single points that is all to the good!

In my experience it does not. At the least, if I click with the node tool & do not then click somewhere else to make a curve, the first node does not show up in the layers panel or anywhere else I can find.

Affinity Photo 

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi edferrigan,

Zoom out the canvas until you can see a large area around the document, then with the Move Tool, drag drag a marquee selection covering the area around the document (don't release the mouse immediately - you should be able to locate the artefact highlighted in blue). Then drag a marquee selection just around it and press delete in you keyboard or delete the respective layer in the Layers panel.

post-59-0-60137500-1466117582_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...