You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Could be a bug. I switched from Vector to Pixel mode a moment ago and was no longer able to select a box filled with a gradient, however I could select a Text Box, switching modes back and forth solved the problem.

2009: 27 inch iMac / Intel Core i5 / 2.66 GHz / 16 GB Memory / System: Yosemite 10.10.3 – PRINCIPAL DESIGN SOFTWARE: QuarkXpress 9.5.1, 10.5 and 2015 / Pinegrow Web Designer / Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo / Acorn

• Staff

when i open a file there is nothing. it looks like i have just opened AD, and have yet to create a file.

Do you get this problem with all of your files? Are you able to open any of the samples included with AD? Can you provide us with a screenshot?

hello leigh,

how do i add a screen shot? i was looking for this, but couldn't find how to do it. i have the screenshots

where are the samples?

this only started yesterday. I've not had this problem before. the other odd thing is, the studio panels keep going blank. they don't disappear, just no information, including the layers. 

thanks

ok, i figured out how to add screenshots.

Blank Studio: shows that all the info in studio has disappeared. 

Blank AD: shows that a file has been opened 'Construction_02'.

Desktop: shows one of my files is selected in Finder.

No Layers: shows that even though there is artwork, there is no layer showing in the Studio panel.

post-641-0-79866700-1413397412_thumb.pngpost-641-0-46828000-1413397435_thumb.pngpost-641-0-80750100-1413397456_thumb.pngpost-641-0-21907400-1413397641_thumb.png

Is your display at its native resolution or scaled down to make things easier to use? I'm not on a good screen myself right now so am not sure if I'm imagining that the screenshots make everything seem a little bigger than usual. Thanks Leona, hope we figure this out for you soonest.

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

Is your display at its native resolution or scaled down to make things easier to use? I'm not on a good screen myself right now so am not sure if I'm imagining that the screenshots make everything seem a little bigger than usual. Thanks Leona, hope we figure this out for you soonest.

i don't know. i haven't fiddled with anything since it came out of the box. i don't understand all that techy stuff. i clicked on one of the screenshots and it did seem big. 

the other odd thing is that, although i can select and move an object, there is no line around the selected object.

• Staff

Thanks for the screenshots, they're very helpful. Do you know which version of OS X you're running? You can find this information by clicking the Apple Logo > About This Mac

While I go away and investigate, can you try the attached test document to see if that opens correctly for you? If that fails, we can reset the program.

test_document.afdesign

ok, i opened the file with no problems. at first, the objects had the selection line around them. then i selected the text and the line disappeared.

in the screenshot (Elipse Selected), you can see at the bottom of AD window, that the object is selected. 

also, the layers panel is showing that the text layer is selected, though it's actually the ellipse tool that is selected. 

the other thing is, if i uncheck the view layer box, the tick remains, even though the image is hidden. (screenshot Layers Checkbox).

thanks, leigh

post-641-0-91966800-1413481893_thumb.png

post-641-0-70335600-1413480672_thumb.png

• Staff

Thanks again for getting back to me! Still unsure what's causing your issue. I think we should try resetting the app back to factory defaults. Please note, this will clear any custom settings you have within the app. If you still want to proceed, do the following:

1. Close Affinity if it's running

2. Hold CTRL down on your keyboard

3. Whilst holding CTRL, open Affinity making sure you still have CTRL held down

You should now see the Clear User Data window. Click Clear - see attached screenshot.

post-19-0-71362800-1413543255_thumb.png

ok, i did that and everything seems to be working ok. i've only selected and deselected objects, checked/unchecked view layers and open and closed the application. but it's working ok now.

i'll have a go at creating some new artwork and using the gradient fill (that's when it started playing up. i don't know if i did something weird).

i'll let you know either way.

thanks again, leigh.

• 2 weeks later...