You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

blur edges only

Would love to see a feature where we can target a blur on an edge only. 

Say I have a fill with some painting in it and maybe some noise applied, if I'd like the edge to be soft and apply a blur to it the whole things blurs, losing any painting detail and noise... be cool to just be able to blur the shapes edge without the contents getting blurred. Would be nice to have a slider and preview.

Maybe there is already a way to do this? Any ideas?

Again, a boy can dream.  :D

• Staff

Hi retrograde,

What you're describing is feathering. This was present in one of the first Betas as an FX but was later removed because it wasn't working correctly.

There was even a few requests with some good suggestions to improve the regular feathering with variable edge distance, controlled by an auxiliary line if i remember correctly (kind of a variable offset around the main shape). I would like to see this too. It's quite useful.

What about masking the layer with a blurred shape of the same size? For some basic use cases this might work … just an idea …  :)

Cheers A_B_C I'll give that a shot, for a temporary solution it might do the trick.

Would be a nice feature to have a quick edge blur though.

Hi retrograde,

What you're describing is feathering. This was present in one of the first Betas as an FX but was later removed because it wasn't working correctly.

There was even a few requests with some good suggestions to improve the regular feathering with variable edge distance, controlled by an auxiliary line if i remember correctly (kind of a variable offset around the main shape). Would like to see this too. It's quite useful.

Yes of course feathering. When it comes to terminology, I'm at a bit of a loss sometimes. That would be perfect.

Now that you mention it, I kind of think I remember it being an effect... 

• 2 weeks later...

I really need feathering. As it stands now, I have to send my images that need feathering to my sister, who has the Adobe products, to do what used to be a very simple thing. It's the only way I can blend a smaller image into a background without a lot of extra work in other programs. It's very helpful that we can create a color palette from a document (i.e., the image) and find a background that comes close, but there is still the matter of the hard edge. Nothing else I've tried works as well as the old simple feather from Illustrator. Please, please, please....

• 1 month later...

Hey MEB, any news on this yet?

-------------

EDIT - I just tried A_B_C's suggestion of adding a masking shape and applying a blur to that shape.

While it does blur the shape and leaves the pixel painting inside the shape intact (not blurred) it's doing some strange colour shifting on the blurred edges. It looks fine over the white but seems to be colour dependent or is applying a blending mode in the blur that is causing different results (colour and thickness of blur) over each colour rectangle below.

If a feathering option is eventually added as a feature to our effects panel set for vector shapes, please attempt to ensure this colour shifting does not happen if possible... :)  

post-305-0-49677400-1467404760_thumb.png

• 1 month later...