You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there any way to lock guides?

58 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

Hi chris.bannu,

it seems that this feature is already implemented in the upcoming version 1.7:

- Guides can be created and moved in all the core tools, plus a toggle to turn guide editing off

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/52300-sneak-peeks-for-17/

Looking forward to this feature myself … :)

Alex

going to save me a fortune in low tack masking tape lol!

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

going to save me a fortune in low tack masking tape lol!

Oh! Low tack masking tape. I knew I was doing something wrong.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Bilbo Bowman said:

Does anyone know where the toggle lives to turn guide editing off in the beta? I'd love a right-click on the canvas.  Muscle memory. I must be missing it. :34_rolling_eyes:

Not sure I understand your question but you can assign a keystroke to the guides manager in preferences.
938855380_ScreenShot2019-02-13at07_38_05.png.2f0c83b24d6935d9253e930caa522e3b.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi Bilbo Bowman,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
There's no toggle to turn guide editing off anymore. The only tool able to move guides on canvas is the Move Tool but since guides are quite thin and (now) have the lowest (hit) priority it's unlikely they will be moved by accident so the button was removed.

6 hours ago, MEB said:

The only tool able to move guides on canvas is the Move Tool but since guides are quite thin and (now) have the lowest (hit) priority it's unlikely they will be moved by accident so the button was removed.

Is that really true, Miguel? Is this the last word? And will it be like that forever:o

Well, then I have to say the developers should spend a second thought on this decision. It’s not that I wouldn’t be careful with my own documents … that’s for sure …, but just imagine there might be other people I may want to share my Affinity documents with. Can I really trust that they won’t accidentally move my guides, even if I just ask them to add a missing bit of copy text? Sharing documents without the ability of locking guides will be a nightmare … O.o

Please bring this button back! It’s so important! 

Alex :)

15 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

Is that really true, Miguel? Is this the last word? And will it be like that forever:o

Well, then I have to say the developers should spend a second thought on this decision. It’s not that I wouldn’t be careful with my own documents … that’s for sure …, but just imagine there might be other people I may want to share my Affinity documents with. Can I really trust that they won’t accidentally move my guides, even if I just ask them to add a missing bit of copy text? Sharing documents without the ability of locking guides will be a nightmare … O.o

Please bring this button back! It’s so important! 

I fully agree on this. It happened to me several times I accidentally moved guides. Sometimes you don't even know for sure guides are moved, because it's hard to spot. Especially when lots of guides are next to each other and the image is zoomed out.

I liked that illustrator put guides on a layer that you could lock.

• Staff
1 hour ago, A_B_C said:

Hi Alex,
That's the information I have and how the application was designed to work currently. I do understand your (and others) concerns and passed them to the dev team for consideration.

2 hours ago, A_B_C said:

It’s not that I wouldn’t be careful with my own documents … that’s for sure …, but just imagine there might be other people I may want to share my Affinity documents with. Can I really trust that they won’t accidentally move my guides, even if I just ask them to add a missing bit of copy text?

What would prevent another user from unlocking the guides, just as they can with layer locks?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

18 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What would prevent another user from unlocking the guides, just as they can with layer locks?

that is malicious intent as opposed to "oops".

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

that is malicious intent as opposed to "oops".

Why must it be malicious intent rather than just another "oops," or for that matter something done on purpose because that user believed it was necessary to add the text properly aligned, or to do whatever else was desired or requested to the shared document?

Affinity Photo 

6 minutes ago, >|< said:

A lock would greatly reduce the probability of an "oops", not entirely eliminate it. Isn't that better than no lock?

As I understand it, the request is for the return of the 'lock guides' button, which seems to me to be just as prone to an "oops" as dragging a guide accidentally with the Move Tool.

8 minutes ago, >|< said:

Why are you so often (and it is very often) posting arguments against requests for features?

It is not that I am against posting requests for such things. It is more that personally I much prefer the idea of eliminating the need for (to me) an overly cluttered & complicated UI wherever possible. There is no way to make an app 'goof proof' to begin with, & I believe adding clutter & complications only makes goofs more rather than less likely.

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, >|< said:

I fail to see how the presence of a guides lock increases the likelihood of a "goof". What sort of "goof" would become more likely when the UI has a guides lock?

Are you talking about the now removed from the beta button or something else? If it is the button, what prevents or reduces the chances of accidentally clicking on it?

Affinity Photo 

4 minutes ago, >|< said:

Stop and think for a second. Your argument leads to removing the entire UI for fear of someone accidentally clicking on something.

No, it just means the chances of accidental clicks increase with increasing numbers of things that can be clicked on.

Affinity Photo 

30 minutes ago, >|< said:

So, are you against every change to the apps which would add something clickable to the UI? Or are you just against those things which you wouldn't use personally?

The only thing I personally don't want to see added is anything that can be implemented in some other equally or more effective way. In this particular case, I think making the guides moveable only with the Move Tool & making that the lowest priority 'hit' on the canvas does that quite well.

I think bringing back the button would be a less effective solution because it was easier to hit by accident.

EDIT: I also think something that has been suggested elsewhere in the forums would be an even better solution, that being putting guides on their own lockable layer.

Affinity Photo 

How do you accidentally move a guide? Especially if, as MEB indicated, you now have to use the Move tool, and you have to click the Guide not some overlapping object that you were aiming for instead?

Has anyone actually tried the new implementation to see if you still have issues accidentally moving Guides, with the changed selection/clicking procedure that Serif has implemented?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

C’mon guys, this discussion is getting a bit strange. There is no single professional graphic design, font design, or DTP application I am aware of that would not allow to lock guides. Some of us might still remember even these days:

Pagemaker.thumb.png.ccfc51fcef588b11f8ac4bb34182c57a.png

Source: Desktop Publishing with Pagemaker, 1987

So as long as I can grab a guide on the canvas and move it, regardless of the currently implemented behaviour, the system will be prone to accidental changes of any sort. Just have a look at my video below. It’s not a really long way to go from rotating a shape to moving a guide.

Personally, I am in favour of a guide system that would allow to attach guides to a layer, such that we can have different sets of guide systems in the same document that can be toggled on and off. But at the very least, I fear I cannot do without a button or a menu option that would simply allow to lock my guides. I can’t see why adding such a button or menu option would be an annoyance for people who don’t want to use it. I bet there are several other options that are never used by some people. ;)