You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I'm trying to join two lines segments and it dont work.

The nodes are over one another and when both are selected and when I press "join curves" nothing happens.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks

• Staff

Hi Tarc,

Please could you make sure that you are holding down Shift when you select both nodes and then hit Join Curves. This should get the nodes to connect.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Tarc,

Please could you make sure that you are holding down Shift when you select both nodes and then hit Join Curves. This should get the nodes to connect.

Thanks

C

Hi Tarc & Callum, 

I have difficulty selecting both nodes, when they are over each other. 

It works fine if there is some distance between the nodes, am I missing something? 

post-10932-0-41395800-1462520964_thumb.png 

post-10932-0-38905800-1462520990_thumb.png 

post-10932-0-25069600-1462521011_thumb.png 

p. 

It doesn't matter if any nodes are selected. The action joins two selected curves where their end nodes are closest to each other. And because it is somewhat buggy, if those two closest nodes are over each other, it may or may not collapse them into one node.

Also, the stroke width may increase by a variable amount when the curves are joined. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Drag to marquee should select the nodes.

This will work but both objects will need to be selected first :)

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

… when I press "join curves" nothing happens.

Callum did not tell you that the curve(s) should be open before joining. Perhaps your curve/s is/are not (a) line segment/s. Have you verified that?

• Staff

Hi tarc,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Select both paths (i'm assuming they are separate objects), go to the context toolbar and check/enable Snap to selected curves in the Snap section (the first icon), then move one of the nodes a little so it doesn't overlap the other then move it again over the other (you should see it changing to yellow, meaning the nodes were correctly snapped). Drag a selection marquee around the two (with the Node Tool) and press Join Curves.

In certain circumstances, it may add a line connecting the two nodes instead of converting them into one. This should be improved in future versions.

Hi,

It appears to be working today, even without selecting nodes.

A mystery to me, I have tried all the suggestions and couldn't join lines yesterday.

I'm still in the learning process, that's probably why ! I have experience with vector programs though.

Affinity is definitely interesting, and I'm hoping it will become my main vector tool.

Thanks for the help !

Select both paths (i'm assuming they are separate objects), go to the context toolbar and check/enable Snap to selected curves in the Snap section (the first icon), then move one of the nodes a little so it doesn't overlap the other then move it again over the other (you should see it changing to yellow, meaning the nodes were correctly snapped). Drag a selection marquee around the two (with the Node Tool) and press Join Curves.

In certain circumstances, it may add a line connecting the two nodes instead of converting them into one. This should be improved in future versions.

Any idea what those "certain circumstances" are?

For me, about 95% of the time the two nodes are not converted into one. This happens so often that I now often use undo to get back to just before I snapped the node & just move it near the other one, then join them. Or I just don't bother with the snapping step to begin with.

This at least lets me see that there are two nodes instead of being surprised later when I try to move what I thought was just one node or change its handles or whatever.

Equally annoying is the tendency of the join action to change the stroke width, often to some ridiculously high value. Right now, I'm working on a project that involves joining dozens of very short 0.4 pixel wide lines into single curves. Almost 100% of the time the stroke width changes, sometimes to 100+ pixels. This means after almost every join action I have to reset the stroke width because its bloated width totally obscures the next line segment.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7