Sign in to follow this  
wpbasti

Wrong kerning in Chaparall Pro (maybe other fonts as well)

I try to convert some work from Adobe Illustrator. I made some logo design in Adobe Illustrator. As Illustrator format basically contains an embedded PDF it's pretty easy to see a preview just using QuickView in Mac OS.

The format was imported without issues but there might be a general issue correctly respect the kerning information from the font. There are some huge gaps between specific symbol groups mostly related to the uppercase "A" character. At least this is the place where it's most obvious that there is something wrong.

I did two PNG exports of the original file rendered by Affinity and Illustrator. I think it's pretty obvious what's wrong.

Is better font support on the roadmap or is that some specific issue with some font files? Thanks for support and clarification!

post-1816-0-44281100-1413309327_thumb.png

post-1816-0-99883400-1413309327_thumb.png

Better font support is on the roadmap.

Fonts can specify kerning in several ways. Currently we support Kerning tables. In the next update we will add support for the OpenType 'kern' feature. In future we plan to support AAT kerning too.

It does not seem to be listed in the pinned "roadmap" topic. Is there any release date (do you talk about major or minor release BTW) which you are able to estimate? Thanks!