You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Software on screen appears black except for art/photo. Options requested.

Hello.

I am thrilled to learn about Affinity Designer, Photo, and soon also Publisher! From the tutorials, these seem like great programs, and from what I have read, the software is of top quality that rivals or exceed Adobe graphics programs. I am very excited about Affinity!

I also hear about the amazing responsiveness of Affinity to consumer needs. For instance, I hear that the cost per program is not excessive at about $50, that the programs are designed to be wholly compatible with Mac OS X El Capitan on the iMac or the new Mac Pro, that Affinity will not be going to the Cloud, and that all software updates to new program versions are free; it is bought once.

I am delighted to hear this. Can it be true? Please send me an email to confirm this. Any further information would be welcome. For instance, does Serif have plans to create Affinity video editing software?

I have one small concern that is important to me. I have noticed that in every Affinity screen I have seen so far, the entire on-screen area of the program is colored black, except for the actual artwork or photo. I would like the option to choose other colors than black for these areas. What other colors are now available, and if no others, will this feature be included in updates in the near future?

Thank you!

I have one small concern that is important to me. I have noticed that in every Affinity screen I have seen so far, the entire on-screen area of the program is colored black, except for the actual artwork or photo. I would like the option to choose other colors than black for these areas. What other colors are now available, and if no others, will this feature be included in updates in the near future?

Please see the Common Feature Requests Index. There is a long thread discussing the need for a lighter user interface.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi Kitten,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Thanks for your words. Glad to know you are excited with Affinity software :)

Regarding your questions: The updates are free for minor versions only. The update to version 2.0 will not be free, otherwise it wouldn't be possible for Affinity to cover the costs of development.

There's no subscriptions or cloud dependencies. Regarding video editing software please check our FAQ. You will find useful information there.

Currently Affinity is only available with a dark interface (you can only tweak the UI Gamma slightly in Preferences). For more info on this topic please check TonyB's post.