You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

“I’m used to using the “edit in…” command in Lightroom to hand my images over to Photoshop for retouching

This is from Affinity Review #2.

I would like to edit in PS, an image file I am working with in Affinity Photo.

Where is the command, or how can I get the image file to PS?

“I’m used to using the “edit in…” command in Lightroom to hand my images over to Photoshop for retouching, it took a few goes to find the best way of implementing this with Affinity Photo mainly due to the “handing back” / saving part. Once I had this down it was an” easy fit.

Excerpt From: Serif. “Affinity Review #2.” iBooks. 

I'm just curious - what is it that you can do in Photoshop but not in Affinity Photo?

If you need to take an image you've been working on in AP and edit it in Photoshop, you can export it. You may not be able to keep it as a layered file.

• Staff

Hi David4,

Affinity Photo supports exporting to .PSD you can do this by going to File > Export and then selecting .PSD from the menu. You should be able to bring the .PSD file into Photoshop :)

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

cadobir, Good question.   The same reasons Mark Ivkovic has.   Page 18.
“I’m used to using the “edit in…” command in Lightroom to hand my images over to Photoshop for retouching, it took a few goes to find the best way of implementing this with Affinity Photo mainly due to the “handing back” / saving part. Once I had this down it was an easy fit. When it came down to using the app itself I was ”

Excerpt From: Serif. “Affinity Review #2.” iBooks. 

Remarks by “   bang | Photography - Mark Ivkovic                           UK based Fashion & Beauty Photographer​”

Callum:   I have been doing what you suggest, using .tiff.

Cheers,

David4

David4, what is your question? You'll get better results if you just ask without any references to other posts or quotes. It gets confusing. I thought Callum answered you just fine and then you came back with another vague answer to that. It will eventually discourage people from answering your questions.

#5 icon_share.pngevtonic3, you are correct.  I am looking  for a simple command + E, as used in LR.  That's all.  I used the quote from Affinity Review, in order to say, I am not alone in the request.

Nothing more.   Too simple.   I wouldn't make a big deal of this.   I'm not.

Thanks again, evtonic3.

#5 icon_share.png
#5 evtonic3#5 icon_share.pngevtonic3

If your question is: "Can I go File> edit in photoshop", (or another command that will do the same)

I don't think you can do that.

You have to do as Callum suggest. If you want to keep your layers, it's best to use the PSD format.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

I am looking  for a simple command + E, as used in LR.

LR is in part a digital asset manager (DAM), so it makes sense that it would have a command to edit with an external editor. The existing Affinity apps have no DAM functions -- they are just editors/developers, so they do not include an external editor function (other than the edit in other Affinity app command).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks, RCR, Madame, evtonic3, callum, and cadobir.

To answer cadobir:  Creating multiple colored borders, like matting, right smack on the final image file, is easier in PS.

Sizing an image file, I can see the dimensions while doing the sizing.   It’s easier for me to size a  24 by 12 in PS.

Then the image file is returned to Affinity Photo.

I would not be without Affinity Photo. Period!

I thank the staff and moderators for the marvelous help.