You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, I wanted to ask if anyone knew of a good way to taper vector lines made with the Pen Tool in Affinity Designer. 

I know that you can do it on Inkscape and Illustrator, but I haven't figured out a way to do with Affinity. 

Also, I know that I can you the brush tool to get that sort of line with a graphics tablet, but I just want to see if I can do it with the pen tool. 

Here is a link to article of that shows how its done Inkscape so you can get a better idea of what I am asking. 

http://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/quick-tip-how-to-create-tapered-lines-in-inkscape--vector-23746

Thank you!

• Staff

Hi julmoral,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can use Pressure Profiles to create similar effects:

- draw a path with the Pen Tool

- go to the context bar, click on the Stroke width dropdown, set a bigger stroke width if necessary then press the Pressure button on the bottom right of the popup.

- add nodes to the curve or move the end nodes (click on them once to untie them) to manipulate the path's width (see screenshot).

post-59-0-70022800-1462385234_thumb.png

• 2 years later...

On this topic. I have just purchased your program for use with my Fashion Design and I was hoping you could tell me how to create a triangle tapered line like the one in the pic provided. We use this shape a lot in Illustrator at uni in our designing but I can't seem to find it here and It is a very important element to the design process. Please help 

Thank you 

tapered-10-11.png

• Staff

Hi Galvertron,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Check the screenshot below. Set the Cap to Butt Cap, and the Pressure Profile as shown in the screenshot. You can save this profile clicking on the Save Profile button for later re-use or save it as a Style from the styles panel (note that you must apply it to a closed shape (like a rectangle or anything else) to be able to add it as a style). Alternatively you can also use the triangle shape tool.

pressure_profile_example.png.e9b396fd56de17ded9825caa5fd50a68.png