You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot get rid of selection brush tool.

Good morning

Have made a selection using the selection brush tool and have applied a curves adjustment (sky). Now want to invert that selection (cannot do than either cmd I does not appear to work at this point), so that I can apply a curves adjustment to the foreground.  However, I am having problems.  I do not seem to be able to get rid of the selection brush tool, if that makes sense.  I am confused!!

Perhaps what I am asking for is for someone to give me a run down of how to apply a curves adjustment to 2 different parts of a photograph  - sky and land. Was thinking that selection tool would work (which it does for the first part (sky), but not for the second part (foreground).

I do hope this makes sense to someone.

Kind regards.

Use cmd + D to deselect a selection.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Take a look at this thread. If you want to apply different adjustments to two different parts of a layer, make a copy of the layer and then clip the second adjustment layer to the layer below so that other layers are unaffected by the new adjustment.

You should be able to invert a selection with ⌘I, but you need to go to the Layers tab and make sure that you've chosen the pixel layer rather than the adjustment layer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thank you for your comments - I am getting there.  

Am now able to select and add adjustments to two selections, but when I try a 3rd, am unable to make a selection - I keep going back to the original(duplicated) pixel layer.  I want to be able to change the sky, sea and foreground all separately.

I am sure it is me doing something very silly - any ideas?

• Staff

Hi Newbie2,

When you go to make your third selection please can you make sure you have the correct Layer selected from the Layers tab?

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.