You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Could you help me understand the logic behind save function? following scenario:

1. I opened PNG file, applied some edits, now want to save my modified file
  2. File -> "Save", just overwrites existing PNG file (without any warning!)
  3. To save with other file name I am trying "Save As" but it offers .afphoto file format only and I can't save to PNG.

Why do save and save as use different default formats? How to save opened PNG with other file name without re-exporting?

Of course, I can export my PNG to PNG, setting from the scratch bit depth, resampling, metadata, profile etc, but it is a little tricky.  

Maybe I am doing something wrong but this seems to be not so consistent, when your OSX is configured to hide file extensions you have no idea what format will be used so can end up with overwritten files. 

• Staff

If you have only made modifications that are supported by the PNG file type then using the Save function will simply save over the top of the current file. If you have made modifications that are not supported, such as adding layers, then you can save the image as a project file (click Save As) or flatten and merge the changes to the existing file (click Save Flattened).

If you wish to save as a new PNG file you will have to Export the file

DWright, thank you for explanation. I am going to save modifications that are supported by PNG, just want to set some other file name to make a copy of my file. It would be great to have Save As with option to select preferred file format and choose between the native afphoto project and PNG formats.