Hi,

I've just purchased Affinity after the trial period. Only now (...) I'm realizing that when I open a NEF file (Nikon D7100) by Affinity, the result is quite different compared when I open the same NEF by Nikon NX-D. I guess there is a different initial setting but ....where? I tried to change the "Assistant" setting (different Raw engine) with no result (in same case the result is worse).    

I have attached a couple of jpg that are the simple export with no change at all from NX-D and Affinity. The Affinity one is definitively too much dark. In other cases I realized was not only a matter of "light" but color balance as well.  

post-30213-0-33865100-1462029916_thumb.jpg

post-30213-0-91212900-1462029964_thumb.jpg  

Might someone help me?

Hi Safi,

As you probably already know even with all settings zeroed to original, Capture NX-D appears to apply a tone curve.

If you haven't try checking your stored NEF picture control setting in camera or preferably with the Nikon Picture Control Utility.

By default this is probably set to Standard, if you adjust it to neutral, it will be closer to an unadjusted raw import into Affinity Photo.  Also you can manually adjust the tone curve etc in the Picture Control utility to your personnel preferences and save it to camera as a user preference.

Hope that helps, actually once you are aware of the difference, it's not that relevant, the way you adjust your raw files is subjective. Just like the old days of colour printing and ektachrome processing on a hand line, great fun.

Ciao TommyL,

firstly thank you very much for your hint. I'll take a look on the picture control setting by the Nikon utility.

That said, is there a way to "import" in Affinity a predefined setting/curve (e.g. the Nikon one...)?