You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DAUB Pigmento - 84 Natural Media raster brushes

paolo.limoncelli

Cheers guys!

Wow this is definitely my fav new brush. The "Jekyll and Hyde" brush. Gentle and refined by day, brash and bold by night...

Here's a few minutes tinkering. You know a sign that you're having fun, when you have to make yourself stop.  :)

This sort of feels like acrylic on canvas.

Nice work Paolo!

post-305-0-12667400-1462860554_thumb.png

post-305-0-17319900-1462860579_thumb.png

Another brush today

sampleThickTextured.jpg

Pigmento Thick Textured is a really handy tool.

If used at small sizes and low pressure is able to trace precise and expressive lines (as the one shown int this sample).

Moreover being a Pixel Tool preset offers crisp colour and the alpha-eraser trick.

Then, used as a pure paint tool, it delivers a subtle impasto effect and a realistic stroke randomness.

If you want, you can change blending mode, by default it is set to Normal.

A final tip: use a bit of USM sharpening to make texture bump up when your piece is done.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

How to enable the Impasto Effect for Pigmento Fat Bristles

Using a bit of USM is always suggested to make paintings crisper.

In this case I designed this tool ramps to work together well with Clarity and USM Live filters in a non destructive way.

This process is available for Affinity Photo only.

You add those filters and place them at above all layers, then paint freely.

The settings depend on the resolution of your canvas.

For a 4K file you can use:

Clarity > 8px

USM > 4px, 2, 0% for Radius, Factor and Threshold 

This specific tool has a subtle colour variation that pops out using sharpening.

Each stroke has its independent thickness, so the impasto is very credible.

Here a simple stupid sample to show the results of what you will achieve.

impasto.png

Hope you'll enjoy.

Happy painting!

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought mine with PayPal.  No problems.  Great brushes, Paulo.  And a great price.

Edit:      Oh man!  Just been playing with the brushes. These things are great!  I expected them to be good, based on the freebies you've shared with us, but these are fantastic.  

• 4 months later...

Another brush today

sampleThickTextured.jpg

Pigmento Thick Textured is a really handy tool.

If used at small sizes and low pressure is able to trace precise and expressive lines (as the one shown int this sample).

Moreover being a Pixel Tool preset offers crisp colour and the alpha-eraser trick.

Then, used as a pure paint tool, it delivers a subtle impasto effect and a realistic stroke randomness.

If you want, you can change blending mode, by default it is set to Normal.

A final tip: use a bit of USM sharpening to make texture bump up when your piece is done.

Where can I find this brush?

It is the #68 (or the #5 from the bottom if you prefer).

Since we have no search filed in brush presets I suggest you to do the following:

- Create an empty Category named "Preferred"

- Go back to Pigmento

- Check all the brushes trying them, since you find what you need

- Move the one you choose to the Preferred category (Right click on the preset stroke)

I'd find a nice improvement to Affinity's category management the following features:

1) Search field as we have in Swatches and Assets

2) Option for name list only, or possibility to have name/nozzle only

3) Rating/Flag system 

4) Detachable categories (so you can keep open both Blenders and Watercolours for example)

What do you think about?

Excellent suggestions, paolo!  A Search field would be great to have.  And Detachable Categories sounds like a definite improvement.  I'd already created an extra category for Pigmento Brushes that work well with the textures created by the Lighting Filter but large categories, like the Pigmentos (love 'em, love 'em), would benefit from even more compartmentalization. 

• 2 years later...

WOW. My years with the oils are back.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Gonna buy. TODAY. No more delays. 

Geez.... the memories... Looking at that I almost smell the linseed oil over the wooden pallete....

(....aaaaand...am out of likes again (10:12 AM in the morning, that's a record... ! ) .... I guess am too compulsive hitting the like button, lol..... )

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Purchased !

My first Gumroad purchase, lol, there's always a first time for all...

And...THANK YOU, Paolo, as, at this price, I consider it a gift.... (or...er.... a steal....84 brushes, for a total of 7  euros, once included VAT... It'd be even for just one of the above seen quality (that pic totally broke my resistance/laziness to purchase stuff or do the paypal thing...)... Tho I know is the rules of market. Yet so, one has to recon where there's an item of extreme value... (Affinity, these brushes....er...Blender.... :D  (edit: thought I'd clarify, as has happened before that ppl would believe with this joke that Blender 3D costs sth.... is FREE ))

BTW, the whole purchase thingy went very smooth here, no probs, used PAYPAL.

Will try the brushes later, have some ppl at the flat now, can't focus well, lol....

• 1 month later...

Paolo replied to my question via email - here's the full quote. :12_slight_smile:

Hi!

Pigmento is a set designed to work in both AP and AD.
The differences in using these in AD or AP are the following:

1) Automatic Tool Selection

In Affinity Photo the brush preset will automatically pick up the needed tool to obtain the wanted behaviour.
This tool is shown at the end of the sample stroke, by its icons.
image.png

In Affinity Designer this does not happen, because this feature is not yet supported, so you're free to select the tool yourself (any painting tool available) using that icon as a "hint".

2) DAUB® Pigmento - Spatula

In Affinity Photo tools from this set rely on the Paint Mixer Brush, and allow you to mix colours

image.png
In Affinity Designer this does not happen, because the feature is not yet supported, but you can always use them without the mixing feature.

The look you're seeing in my speed painting is perfectly achievable in both AP and AD.
Let me know if you need more info!

Cheers!
Paolo