You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Live sketching-- is there a way to turn off smoothing?

I'm a big fan of Affinity! In fact, I'm even starting to use it for other purposes (which Affinity probably wasn't designed for), including live sketching / teaching by screen sharing the drawing surface. 

Unfortunately, when doing small fast motions (like the small "2" in E = m c ^2 ) Affinity auto-smooths the motion into little straight lines. I've been using pixel mode because the draw-persona pencil leaves the nodes after drawing, which obscures the line.

Any ideas on how to optimize for live writing, by either turning off smoothing in pixel mode or hiding nodes in draw mode? 

Thanks!

• Staff

Hi jdr, 

Welcome to the forum.

You are unable to turn off the nodes when using vector pencil and when making fast small handwriting it will smooth more than slower movements. I recommend using the pixel tool and enabling the force pixel  alignment to get clearer writing.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice-- unfortunately I'm having no luck. Basically, I'd just like ink to appear where I put the pen, and that's it... there's got to be a way to do this?

Every time I, say, try sketching out "m^2" with a little 2 above the m, I get artificially straightened lines. This happens no matter what (pixel mode, with or without pixel alignment, etc. etc.)

(Note: I've tried other programs (like "Patina") and this doesn't happen, I can draw anything as fast as I want, so I don't think it's my equipment or anything). 

Thanks! 

How about the Brush Tool (draw persona) with a very small width (.1px or .01px..... or something).

It doesn't leave visible nodes.

And I can't force a sketched "2" to be made up of straight lines regardless of drawing speed or size (I'm drawing them at a fraction of a pixel height/width).

(fwiw.... I don't seem to get straight segments when sketching with the pencil tool either. But the Nodes are left visible.)

Hi JimmyJack,

The straightening of the lines often seems to happen after moving the pen quickly, which I why I mentioned the m before the 2. If I'm just writing as quickly as I normally do on paper, I get a lot of smoothing even using the draw persona brush tool. 

Basically, I just want to find a way to make (touch drawing pad) = (ink on screen), no smoothing or anything. 

• 3 years later...

I am looking for this solution as well.  So frustrating.  I really want to make affinity designer work but I don't know how to make it just touch tablet and ink shows up there with no smoothing. If you've figured this out please let me know!

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi - bit late to the party here, and not even sure if I am talking about the same thing.

I just got my first graphic tablet, a Gaomon,

I am drawing in Affinity Designer but when I release, the lines are automatically smoothed, and it's not quite right for me,

If I move over to the Pixel mode then it works fine I guess, but that's not like vector style? Here the erase button works on my pen also,

Is there a solution where I can get the really nice vector style (e.g. to easily move and stuff and change shape) without the smoothing effect, but also with an eraser?

Thanks

• 2 years later...

Is there any solution to this issue yet?

I posted this a couple of days ago and haven't found a solution yet

Is there a setting to turn auto smoothing off?

AD seems to completely change my drawing style every time the lines get smoothed out. It makes drawing with vector brushes/ pencil really frustrating.