You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey guys,

I new to Affinity Designer and I wanted to make folding line for my origami ebook folding instruction, but after draw the line I don't see the arrow head available, how to make it?

I googled it, but some post mentioned that this feature not available yet? how come? for such a pro app still not available?

Please help and reply ASAP!

• Staff

Hi Johnny Chin,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

No, it's not yet possible to add arrows to paths. This was requested several times and it's coming in a future version. Affinity Designer is still relatively new and there wasn't enough time yet to cover all features you may find in other software. There's a few workarounds - from using a brush to applying a specific pressure profile - that may help here until this is ready for release. Just do a search for arrows in the forum. There's also a arrow shape that lets you customise a few parameters. You can access it through the shapes tools (click the small arrow to reveal the popup menu).

Yeah, this one is a bit of a deal breaker for me. I create a lot of diagrams and they usually have lots of arrow. Still, I believe and so I persist and keep waiting for the new version with this functionality implemented. In the mean time I have get dirty with Illustrator... the longer I use it the more dirty it appears.

Go Team Affinity! May you have the energy and resources to crank out new versions so that we may liberate ourselves from the yoke of Illustrator's oppression ;-)

P.S.

Illustrator is not all bad though so do borrow some of the ideas like ability to make selections based on appearance and definitely implement re-definable and editable styles. If I had more sophisticated selection, arrows and editable styles I could switch to Designer 100%.

I hope arrowheads on paths happens soon. I purchased Designer about 6 months ago, and I haven't done anything with it yet. I can't (easily) make my technical drawings that require lines that point at objects.

• 2 months later...

I still have to use AI because I still have no arrowheads in AFD. It's sad.

But it’s not “just a question of a little patience” because it is only on the “Common Feature Requests INDEX” and not on the feature roadmap. So it does make sense to wait and not to advertise AI or to bewail missing features in other apps.

Have you tried the workaround with text path? How many different arrows do you use?

and I'll see if that works.

Of course it works. We all know that you “can't use ADF”. You already wrote it some weeks ago. That’s why we rethought the unprofessional pressure profile heads. First workaround: Create / copy all your needed arrowheads in/to a font (or order it), duplicate your curve, type/paste the needed head character/glyph on the path, align left / right or use a tab stop.

HTH

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Any of you paying attention to the beta versions (1.7) of the Affinity applications will have noticed that they are now available for testing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Any of you paying attention to the beta versions (1.7) of the Affinity applications will have noticed that they are now available for testing.

Pretty neat too, apparently the code has been written in such a way as to give the option later on to have custom arrowheads, so you will not be limited to just the app styles, which is awesome. I love the ability in pretty much anything to be able to customise, have user presets etc.

Screen-Shot-2019-03-11-at-07-51-14.png

Arrowhead styles availabubble
Screen-Shot-2019-03-11-at-07-56-01.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions