You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So join node isn't actually join node ?

So i have two shapes, lets say one is a triangle and one is a square for simplicity

I want to join the two shapes to make a single shape (Like a simple house)

I move the shapes in to position (Both are on the same single layer)

I use snap to selected node to move the node at the bottom right of the triangle directly over the node at the top right of the square, i use the node tool to marquee select both nodes, i press join, and bam, absolutely nothing happens ?

Is this intended, because i am pretty sure this just works in inkscape.

• Staff

Hi Bungle,

There's a few issues when performing boolean operations where the boundaries of the shapes overlap.

If you add a new node to the middle of the square's top edge (you need to convert it to curves first) and move it upwards a little (to the center of the triangle),  the boolean operation should perform correctly.

This should be improved in future versions.

Hi Bungle,

just to add this … from your description it seems you are using the Join Nodes command instead of the Boolean or Geometry Operations to add the rectangle shape and the triangle shape. But the Join Nodes command requires open paths and won’t work on closed paths or shapes. So make sure to use the Geometry Operations, just as Miguel indicated … they are also available through Layer > Geometry and through the right click context menu. 

Cheers, Alex  :)

post-1198-0-05557700-1461941973_thumb.png

• Staff

Seems i missed a few bits here :(

Thanks A_B_C

The Join Curves command is for joining open paths as A_B_C said. The menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Add operation should join closed shapes, but in some cases where shapes boundaries overlap, it can output wrong results. Adding a node to the middle of the edge and moving it a little so the boundaries don't overlap anymore usually helps to solve the issue.

Aha, so maybe i should just stick to what i am doing right now, which is just layer the shapes and group them.

This works fine for simple geometry, but i have a character to trace later,  i suspect i may have to pull Inkscape out for that, the tools just work.

You cannot join (merge into one) or connect these particular nodes to create a closed path. As far as the six nodes of your screen shot are concerned, you can only join or connect the end nodes indicated by my arrows below.

In order to join or connect the nodes indicated in your screen shot, you will have to break the curve at the lower node first, thereby creating an end node here. I used the Close Curve command in my video, in order to connect the nodes with a path (see below) …  :)

post-1198-0-00498600-1461952692_thumb.png

Connect.mov

OK, so what i have been doing is the only way to do it then, thanks for letting me know.

Oh another quick joining question, i noticed that when i use the paint brush and it leaves an open curve, if i zoom in and move the end node over the opposite end node, it automagically joins them, this is ridiculously cool, is it supposed to work like that, or do i ave something turned on to do that ?

Just close the curve and add two nodes:

When I close a curve shaped like that, the two end nodes are connected with a diagonal line, producing a sort of misshapen figure eight. Adding one node to the diagonal & dragging it to the position indicated by your lower arrow creates the shape you show with one less node.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Only works if the nodes (on the right) lie on a straight line.

Yes, of course you are right about that. But that illustrates one of the deficiencies of this as a general method vs. breaking the curve. If the curve has more nodes, say two more at the bottom & not everything is on a straight line, then four additional nodes have to be created & snapped to existing node positions. With more complex curves, particularly those with smoothed nodes, this approach quickly becomes tedious. And it won't work at all if the stroke alignment is not centered.

Because of this, I almost always use the break curve method, even for simple shapes. I use it often enough that I set up a keyboard shortcut (currently shift B) to speed up the process.

As a side note to Bungle, note that the action is named "Join Curves," not "Join Nodes." 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The question was about why the 'join nodes' action wasn't doing anything... but since there isn't any such action in Affinity, a few suggestions were made about what could be done with the existing features.

For the reasons I mentioned, I prefer the break curve method, like A_B_C mentioned in post #9.

Affinity Photo 

The question was about why the 'join nodes' action wasn't doing anything...

That is not true, R C-R. The Q was “how do i create a line between the two nodes ?”. Our post was only the A of that Q in #8, not of another Q. Generalizing and everything else often results in more questions and confusion.

That is not true, R C-R. The Q was “how do i create a line between the two nodes ?”. Our post was the A of that Q in #8.

I suppose that depends on what one considers to be the first question asked. For me, that was "So join node isn't actually join node ?" (the title of the topic).

Would that be called Q #0?  ;)

Affinity Photo 

Well, I guess there was some confusion about the intended meaning of the question(s). I must confess, I was confused as well. I had thought Bungle intended to create a closed path, i.e. to close the upper half of his letter “S” in order to apply some kind of Boolean operation afterwards, as indicated in his earlier post …  :)

I think the confusion occurred because (as I interpreted it) the topic was really about two different but related things: closing curves & combining ("joining") two shapes geometrically. If Bungle is anything like me, this is confusing mostly because even though one of the Affinity action is clearly labeled "Join Curves," when i first started using Affinity I interpreted that as "Join [the selected] nodes."

It took me longer than I care to admit to figure out that misunderstanding & the difference between closing an open curve & joining two open ones, but once I did the confusion about why it did not work as expected vanished. That's why I chose to address what (I think) is the root of the confusion, as suggested by the title of the topic. That might be way off, but it was my best guess, based on my own experience.

Affinity Photo