You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, does anybody know how to handle clipping paths in Affinity photo? I tried to export a bottlephoto with clipping path as TIFF and as PSD. When I open the files in Photoshop, there is no clipping path in the path palette available.

Hi MEB,

thank you for the information.

For me this is a key feature to use affinty photo. I found out a work around. I press the mask button and then export the picture as PSD file. When I open the file in Photoshop, the clipping path appears in the path palette.Then I take the path per drag and drop into the unmasked origiginal photo.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi gPorterPhoto,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

In Affinity Photo there isn't a paths panel similar to what you find in Photoshop, however clipping paths, vector masks, and vector shapes are saved with the .afphoto file and kept editable as vectors when you export them to PSD.

To create a clipping path (layer clipping) in Affinity Photo draw it with the Pen tool then drag the image layer over the path layer (not over its thumbnail but over the area on the right) in the Layers panel.

Alternatively you can create a vector mask: draw your path with the Pen Tool then drag the path layer over the image's thumbnail until a small vertical blue bar appears. You can then release the mouse. You should see a crop icon over the path thumbnail. Note that in Affinity Photo you must set the fill of the path to white to be able to see the effect of the mask (otherwise the image disappears from screen).

The curve (path) layer is highlighted and then I make it active by clicking the "Selection" button in the upper right of the screen....

Why does the curve layer and the associated image layer (below it ) disappear ?

I simply want to work with the area selected by the path.

• 3 months later...

I wanted to create a clipping path so I could import in to Quark and print as a silo. I tried the post from May 23 = and unless I did something wrong - neither of the ideas did this - I saved to both a psd and tiff, imported, and no siloing.

What I DID do that worked was - on my path layer - I clicked on "mask to below" - highlighted the layer - gave it a fill of white - copied it - and pasted it in a NEW photo document with transparent background - saving it as a psd or tiff worked for importing as a silo. I was hoping for less steps - but so far can only accomplish what I need to do by the above steps. Any input would be appreciated.

Perhaps I was just missing an important step on May 23 post.

Thanks!

never mind - i got it! (I think) for some reason it didn't work previously (me I'm sure) - saw the cropping tool - it was a little tricky with the fill - depending on what was highlighted - again, I'm not sure exactly how Imade it work - but i think i got it ?!

I would like to be able to define an image as a Mask in the Layer pallet, then drag a picture layer to it, where it becomes a subset of the Mask Layer.

For Clipping Paths Id like to be able to create them the same way, define a shape as a Clipping Path, then drag and image layer onto it too.