post-16556-0-19659300-1461715736_thumb.jpgA friend of mine is making a no-budget Star Wars fan film. He likes to make models of ships and sets but of course there were a few things that required some digital effects. One thing he needed (and he needed it in a hurry!) was an animated "hologram" of the planet Coruscant (a planet completely coved by a giant city).

I used Affinity Photo making heavy use of the Pixel Tool and the Mirror Distort (I wish I'd kept better track of the steps, but it was late and I was working fast!). I made three or four different small patterns like the two shown on the left. Then I copy pasted the patterns several times changing their scale and distributing them around the canvas. Next I used the eraser to remove small and large sections of the patterns to make them look different. More layers and shifted copies. Then a layer of just straight lines connecting "hubs". Finaly the pattern was colour adjusted to be bright red (I didn't want to stare a bright red the entire time I was working on it).

The pattern was UV mapped onto a sphere in Blender and then animated with a slow 360 degree revolution on a tilted axis.

The animation was later composed over the live action shot of Princess Leia, who was filmed with a red light shining on her.

Very well done indeed! The composite shot at the end looks great! :)

Thanks! Someone else did the video compositing, I just had to make the spinning globe. The composite image is just a screen grab from a half-res rough cut.