I need to adjust the zero position of the rulers in order to allow for a bleed and then precisely position items within my image. Is this possible or is it a case of a little bit of mental arithmetic each time?

I would also add about the bleed: even if you set the bleed to .25 inches all around the document in the document setting, you still have to extend the bleed lines manually in the document.

These are only my observations.  

For all intensive purposes the bleed areas are invisible in the program, but show up when you export.

You do not need to readjust your document size, but you do need to expand the graphic you want to bleed over the size of the document to cover the added area.

Your exported file dimensions will be adjusted.  The export will be the document size plus the bleed defined.

I believe that covers it. Trying to group multiple Artboards together as a pamphlet brings unique problems where bleeds are concerned.  But for a single document, Artboards not grouped, the results should be consistent.

Hopefully this has covered all your questions.  I make no guarantees as to the accuracy or completeness of my observations though.

Good luck.

Yeah that's how you have to do it but how is one supposed to know if the bleed is filled sufficiently when I can't see it... Only possible with workarounds

If I uncheck "clip to canvas" I can see objects that extend the artboard but I can´t seem to find any indication of where the bleed area ends and thus if the object properly fills the bleed....

True, there are no guides outside of the canvas... but the rulers keep going.

I just give it plenty of breathing room with a quick glance at the rulers. 

If something needs a tighter look.... then  I get in tighter.

Certainly better than flying blind (for the moment).

If ya really want a workaround (which I know you don't  :D ) you could set up a snapping target off canvas.

This might work for vector stuff that you can just extend but not so much for photos and since APub has some significant delay I´d like to use AD for foto books but this is pretty unusable without bleed preview and the adobe software provided by SaalDigital did not really work out great for me so I´d be really happy to use AD next time  <_<

Last time I printed, there was no bleed at all in AD, now I could work around it (and I even would, just to avoid this adobe program)