You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to modify an Elliptical Gradient angle in Affinity Photo?

Hi, is there a way to modify the angle of an Elliptical Gradient? I know that in Photoshop there is an option for modifying the angle of that tool but I don't see such an option in Affinity Photo. I have also tried playing around with the gradient lines but nothing I do affects the angle of the gradient. Thanks!

If you mean the angle between the two lines showing the extent of the gradient, then no, I don't believe there is. But the angle of the gradient can be changed by dragging an end point of those lines.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

So from what you are discussing I am going to assume that you are setting a gradient most likely from the fill, or stroke context menu color selection pop-downs.  There is a gradient tool in the tools panel on the left side.  Any gradient you have set, once you select the layer, (or object) the gradient is tied to, the gradient tool will give you all the controls you need to change size, angle, direction, midpoint, etc. etc. etc.

Say you make a circle, and under the fill set a gradient. With the circle's layer selected, (move tool), select the gradient tool.  With an elliptical gradient you should see two perpendicular lines.

If I misunderstood your question, please forgive any errors.

Thanks RCR and Crabtree! What RCR says confirms what I thought. There is no way to modify the angle of the elliptical gradient except by extending the end point of the gradient until you get the angle you want. It would be nice if an angle option was added to make things easier though.

I am really missing something. Forgive me.  I cannot figure out what your question is.  I am looking for an angle in an elliptical gradient that I cannot adjust, and it seems like they are all covered.  At least to maintain the elliptical criteria. Maybe it's this flu I have, or some other distractions, but I can't figure out what you are looking for?  Forgive my ignorance on this.

post-12258-0-15759000-1461750401_thumb.png

• 1 year later...
On 27/04/2016 at 7:22 AM, MEB said:

Currently the only way to control the gradient angle is through the Gradient Tool's canvas controls.

That's unfortunate. Precise angles are a must for professional work. I really need a way to adjust the angle somehow, any plans to include this in the future?

29 minutes ago, MEB said:

JimmyJack,

You can input a specific angle/value for the Gradient Overlay FX. The issue here is that will be exported as a rasterised gradient, which doesn't happen with the regular Gradient Tool (depending of the type of gradient/export settings).

Yes, that is the trade off. I should have started with "If you don't mind using an FX....."