You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've been reading the recent posts about installing Nik.  I've tried the steps described without any luck.  Running Yosemite; the only editing software I have is Nikon NX2 and a trial of Lightroom, aside from Mac Photos.  I did the Nik download recently but did not see any "Google" folder that was mentioned in the last thread.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Phil

• Staff

Hi Phil,

If you have installed the latest version and didn't specify any folder to install the plug-ins, you must have a Google folder inside your Applications folder as long as you added a custom folder during instalation, otherwise they were installed to the folder you have specified. In the Photoshop Plug-ins section in Affinity Photo Preferences you must click Add in the Plug-in Search Folders and point to the Google folder (or to your custom folder if you have specified one). You also have to enable Allow "Unknown plug-ins to be used and click on the Authorise Global button then Authorise again in the dialog that will open.

Phil, to be clear about it you have to create a folder in Applications yourself if you want the plugins (& the stand alone app versions) to be installed independently of what the installer will automatically install for any apps you have that it detects as compatible. Since it won't detect Affinity Photo as compatible, you must add the folder you created to the install location list using the plus button in the installer (like in the video catlover linked to).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks to Catlover and R C-R for your help.  Have them installed successfully-what I missed was creating the new folder in "Applications".  The plug-ins show up when I choose the background layer but not when I choose another layer.  Also, only Color Efex works, not the others, DFine, Sharpener, etc.  Still working on that. 

Appreciate your help!

Phil

• Staff

Hi Phil,

You can only apply the plug-ins to Pixel layers. If they are identified as Image layers in parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers Panel, right-click on them and select Rasterise... to convert them to Pixel layers. Only Analog Efex Pro 2, Color Efex Pro 4, Silver Efex Pro 2 and HDR Efex Pro 2 (partially) work in Affinity Photo. For more info check this page. Click on the name of the plug-in for details.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I'm very, very new - just installed the Trial today and I'm very impressed - not least by the excellent support and amount of videos and fans there are!

However, I'm having some difficulty with getting the Filters/plugins to show.

I've installed as per the excellent video from friedegg studios, but they are just not showing in the dropdown menu (nor in the left hand menu on the preferences)

I've even tried copying them into another folder and pointing the search folder to that, but no luck either.

I've loaded a jpeg image up, selected the background layer (pixel) with a tick, but when I move my cursor to Filters > Plugins it doesn't show any of the NIK apps?

Any help or pointers? Cheers folks :-)

• Staff

Hi SummerBreeze,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is normal at this point. Photoshop plug-in support is still being worked on. The items in green you find in the list in the Photoshop Plug-ins section (Preferences) are the ones that were officially tested, however despite listed as unknown, several others are already working too (or partially working with a few issues).

I've compiled an "unofficial" list here to serve as a indication of what to expect from the others. Click the name of plug-ins for more details.

Guys

Am I missing something here? Should the NIK work with the Trial version, or is it only the 'full' version of Affinity Photo?

I've followed all the steps, installed and re-installed but still nothing sadly.

Any help or advice at all please?

Cheers

PS. I can open the apps directly, so they've installed okay it seems

Hi

Thanks for the reply, and the welcome - it's nice to be here :-)

I created a folder called 'Photoshop Plugins' - as it shows on the video.

I've done this a few times now, uninstalled and retried but all to no avail. Once they were somehow installed into Aperture folder, but I've used the uninstaller to remove all previous installs before this latest unsuccessful attempt

Any ideas or tips would be welcome, thanks !

post-31086-0-61724300-1465282489_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi saclark99

During the Nik installation did you specify a custom folder to install the plug-in files?

In the Compatible Host section (see screenshot you must click on the plus button to add a custom location which will point to the "Photoshop Plugins" folder you have created inside the Applications folder. Did you do this step?

post-59-0-26098700-1465295498_thumb.png

It should then appear like this:

post-59-0-01051300-1465295756_thumb.png

The Affinity Photo config is correct.

Once they were somehow installed into Aperture folder, but I've used the uninstaller to remove all previous installs before this latest unsuccessful attempt

The Aperture additions are not Photoshop plugins. Aperture uses a different architecture & the installer creates additions suitable for that in addition to the PS plugins.

It apparently does this even if Aperture is not installed (at least it did on my Macs), so once you get the PS plugins working with Affinity Photo, if you do not have Aperture installed you may want to delete the Aperture folder the installer creates to save some disk space.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi saclark99

During the Nik installation did you specify a custom folder to install the plug-in files?

In the Compatible Host section (see screenshot you must click on the plus button to add a custom location which will point to the "Photoshop Plugins" folder you have created inside the Applications folder. Did you do this step?

attachicon.gifcustom_location.png

It should then appear like this:

attachicon.gifcustom_location_defined.png

The Affinity Photo config is correct.

Hi MEB

Cheers for the reply - on the compatible host window, I didn't see anything - it was almost like it skipped past?

The Aperture additions are not Photoshop plugins. Aperture uses a different architecture & the installer creates additions suitable for that in addition to the PS plugins.

It apparently does this even if Aperture is not installed (at least it did on my Macs), so once you get the PS plugins working with Affinity Photo, if you do not have Aperture installed you may want to delete the Aperture folder the installer creates to save some disk space.

Hi R C-R

Cheers for your help

yep, I couldn't work out how Aperture had been created - so I used the uninstaller NIK had put into this folder to remove them :-)

• Staff

Hi MEB

Cheers for the reply - on the compatible host window, I didn't see anything - it was almost like it skipped past?

Ok. You have to click that plus sign and in the dialog that will open point it to the Photoshop Plugins folder you created inside the Applications folder. Then proceed with the rest of the installation. This will place the photoshop plug-in files there so Affinity can find and use them.

The plug-ins should then appear in the Filters menu in Affinity Photo.

Folks

Mea culpa  :o

Even though I'd watched the excellent video several times, I'd completely missed the 2:20 bit where you need to select (+) the folder location.

Thanks MEB for pointing this out - now everything is working hunky dory, and I'm looking forward to exploring the plugins and Affinity.

Cheers for all your help !!

• 1 month later...

I have downloaded the latest Nik Collection from Google's website and have installed it as described in this video. However, I always get a [buy] or [Demo] button rendered whenever I launch the Nik filters. Not sure what to do with just 2 days remaining on my Nik demo...

Note 1: I am using the latest version of Affinity Photo on a Macbook Pro running the latest version of El Capitan.

Note 2: I have repeatedly uninstalled Nik Collection using their supplied uninstaller, but after re-installation I still get the same behavior.

Note 3: the same Nik Collection works just fine in Photoshop CS6 without demanding a [buy] or [Demo] choice...

Michael