You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello everyone,

I was wondering whether there was any other way (command) to deselect a selection in Aff.-Designer. I find it confusing that I can select all (cmd-A) but deselct (cmd-D) does nothing. The command in menue/ select/ deselect is fogged out, also. Is this a bug, a problem with my machine, or is the deselect command meant for pixels only? Has anybody else encountered this problem?

I would be grateful for an answer/ idea/ hint from anybody.

Cheers

George

MEB, thanx for the quick response, I was afraid that this was the case… perhaps one can hold out hope for a deselect function for vectors in the future, as well? This would be a rather helpful little functionality.

Other than that, thank you very much for Aff. Designer, the latest update (spot colors, text palette) has helped me spend less time in Illustrator. Looking forward to the day I leave Adobe behind.

Kind regards

George

For pixel layers, you can select a variable number of pixels using the marquee, freehand, and/or Selection Brush tools. This creates the "marching ants" outline around all of the selected pixels. This kind of selection is used for various things like creating masks or confining paint brush, dodge, & similar tools to the pixels in the selection. There is no "Select all" command for this kind of selection, just the New, Add, Subtract, & Intersect "modes" in the contextual toolbar available when a pixel selection tool is active. This is because there can be only one pixel selection at a time, so it is always 'all on,' so to speak.

There is no equivalent kind of selection for a vector layer -- you can select nodes or one or more entire layers, but since vectors are not rasterized pixel bitmaps, there are no pixels or other internal structures besides nodes to select.

So it is possible to have both kinds of selections active at the same time, the "marching ants" outline that affects only pixel layers (but still can be seen even when vector layers are selected) & the vector selection(s) of one or more vector layers or nodes. Accordingly, each has its own independent selection/deselection methods.

To deselect all layers or all nodes, you can use the escape key, or just click on an empty area of the canvas with the Move or Node tool respectively. But since pixel selection outlines are a different kind of selection, you must use the Deselect menu or cmd + D command for that, or click outside a pixel section with a pixel select tool in the "New" mode.

I can be confusing at first, but once you understand that there are different, independent kinds of selections possible in Affinity it should make more sense.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7