You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Edit selected item in Photo

Suppose I have a photo placed into an AP document, and I want to edit ONLY the photo and have the changes update in the AP document. So far this does not appear possible; when I choose File > Edit in Photo, the whole document closes in AD and reopens in AP. I do not want to edit the entire document in Photo, only the selected item.

Does Affinity have any plans to develop this capability?

I assume you mean the photo was placed in AD, not AP. If so, & you want to edit it in AP, why not open it directly in that app, make your edits, save (or save as if you want to preserve the original), close the AP document(s), & then in AD use the "Replace Image" button in the Contextual  toolbar (available when the placed photo is selected) to update the placed photo (or to replace it with the edited version if you saved the original)?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

You are correct, I meant a photo placed in AD. And of course, I could go edit the photo in AP and re-place it in AD. I haven't used the "Replace Image" button in AD yet; I will try it. But the convenience of editing the image in AP without closing it in AD, and having AD update saved changes to the photo is terrific and very desirable.

You would not need to close the AD document. Once you save the changes you made to the photo in AP, you could just use the "Replace Image" button to replace the previous version with the edited one (by selecting the same file you edited in AP).

Also, I think by design 'placed' images are not active links to the placed file -- they are saved in the document independently of the source file. As I understand it, this is to prevent accidental editing or cross-linked problems if two or more documents have the same file placed in them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I did not close the AD document. AD remains open and running, but AD closed the document when I choose File > Edit in Photo.

I think I understand your rationale for not linking placed images, but I think that in practice, the problem of surprise edits is unlikely to happen.

If you have worked in InDesign, you may have used their "Edit in..." commands. They're really very good, and I wonder if Affinity may try to r-create that functionality in a future version of AD/AP. If they do not plan to do so, I will want to understand how they address this workflow.

I did not close the AD document. AD remains open and running, but AD closed the document when I choose File > Edit in Photo.

What I'm saying is don't use File > Edit in Photo. Instead, open the file in AP directly, make the edits, save them (while still in AP), & then in AD use the "Replace Image" button to replace the unedited version with the now saved-to-disk edited one.

Regarding not linking placed images, consider what could happen if you have two different AD documents, each with the same photo placed in them. One might be months old & for a variety of reasons it might not be desirable to change the appearance of the photo in it if you need to edit the photo placed in the other one.

Affinity Photo