You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

100% opacity brush does not paint

I'm trying to fix a patch of sky that I retouched badly after inpainting out some stray branches and saved over the original. I could use healing tools, but since the sky is uniform I wanted to sample some unretouched sky and paint over the bad area. I have sampled the good sky (blue shows as foreground color), and the toolbar indicates my brush is at 100% opacity, but brushing over the bad area changes nothing. Same behavior for Paint Brush or Colour Replacement Brush.

This is a file of the problem corner made as New from Clipboard and doesn't look much in detail like what's on my screen but will give an idea of what I am trying to fix.

Bad sky.afphoto

AP 1.7.3, MacOS 10.14.6 (usually latest of each, but not going to Catalina until more issues are resolved)

Mac Mini, Late 2012, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB; HD replaced with SSD

The only thing I can report, is that I had no problems sampling a color, and painting over the sky area.

I painted on the layer.

I painted on a duplicate of the layer.

I painted on a blank pixel layer. 

All worked.

I am going to think that in your case, a screenshot of your UI might hold the answers.  I'm just guessing, but I can't find anything wrong with the file you sent.

When you encounter the same problem, I would suggest using Shift-Cmd-3 to take a full screenshot.  Maybe the problem will be evident by seeing your panels, toolbar, and context menu.

Sorry, I couldn't be of any help.

Crabtrem: Attached is PNG of workspace for your analysis.

Manu: I'm avoiding the workaround because I'm trying to master this technique and interface. After posting, I also saw a reference in a tutorial to tools not working when the wrong layer is selected, but this morning I've verified that it's my panorama copy that is selected, and I still can't paint new blue.

More info: If I change the color to pink, the brush paints, but it doesn't cover at 100% opacity. True on yesterday state and today's. Blue paint does not seem to stick.

My original bad sky area did not look like the one I copied and attached to my OP and that is visible also in my workspace screen grab of today. I am attaching what it looked like from my (belatedly) locked original. It appears that when I made that copy and image from clipboard, some blue painting that was invisible became visible in that copy and today in my working layer (labeled Panorama copy). But I still can not paint new blue on that layer.

This picture is an oddity - a vertical panorama - and it may be that its structure is causing an issue not anticipated by the developers. It's made from a photo of the top of the tree and the trunk. I tried to blend it in panorama and the result was botched, so I rotated the two images, stitched them, rotated back, and then cropped to a squarish rectangle. The histogram shows some odd negative comb structure, so the process may have created some artifact.

post-28570-0-47727000-1461339240_thumb.png

post-28570-0-28175700-1461339258_thumb.png

AP 1.7.3, MacOS 10.14.6 (usually latest of each, but not going to Catalina until more issues are resolved)

Good news and bad news.  At least from my limited knowledge.  I see the issue is actually because you are using the color replacement brush.  The bad news is I don't know enough about the intricacies of the color replacement brush to have a complete solution for you.  I am still messing with it.

Hopefully, someone that knows a lot more about the color replacement brush and its usage will jump in.  I did try a variety of methods all with varying results.  But from what you described, it is clearly the use of the color replacement brush.  How to resolve it, I'm not sure.  

My best results so far was to add a pixel layer, paint with the color replacement brush, and use a soft light blend mode.  But the total outcome was really unsatisfactory.  I'm sure it must be my limited knowledge of the workings of the color replacement brush.  

I made some progress when using the erase brush first, but that seemed what I assumed would be an unnecessary step.

My previous attempts had all used the standard brush tool.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

The color replacing brush should be called hue replacing brush - I'd be using an actual color replacing brush all the time.

+1

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for all the comments.  I finally found the best Help description of the Color Replacement Brush, which says that this is not the right tool for the job. The illustration shows making a strong color change to a towel worn by a cat.  It also seems that the tool only looks at one pixel in the target area rather than a larger sample, which may explain why it sometimes seemed to be changing the sky color, based I guess on a stray different pixel. 

I think that a cloning type operation will do my retouching for now, and I will learn through experimenting what the basic paint brush can do.

If anyone cares to comment further, I don't get what the point is about hue vs. color. I thought they were near synonyms.