You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to join points? Am I that much missing something?

6 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

It’s all about closing a single curve. It’s not about joining multiple curves. :)

No prob here at all. Can´t help any further. If you want to make one  node out of two end-nodes like in Inkscape it´s an extra tool/command.

Cheers

40 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

I really don´t get what this is all about:

It is at least partially about there being no "join nodes" function. There is a Join Curves function & a Close Curve function but they do different things:

5aff4234a6e8e_Joinvsclose.png.c2c8bc0288196e3cc93a1844044c9c53.png

Join Curves creates one curve from several selected ones. Close Curve operates individually on each selected curve. Both only work on open curves; Join Curves does not close them while Close Curve does.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

26 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

If we can drag an end node of one curve on top of an end node of another curve and they join together nicely and both ends respect the handle of the other when they come together as one, why can't we do that with the end nodes on the same curve.

Here is what happens when I try that:

Oops!.png.430fb2ee993440c809aeff38eeb52ec4.png

Notice anything odd about the node in the center where the curves were joined? It is showing as a smooth node but it obviously is not because the angle between the handles is not 180°. So something is buggy about this (besides the stroke thickness change).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, PixelPest said:

..... If you want to make one  node out of two end-nodes like in Inkscape it´s an extra tool/command.

Cheers

This is (part) of my point.

By your own example (the multiple curve example....bottom half) an extra tool seems NOT to be necessary.

This is, in part, what I don't understand.

In the single curve scenario the two nodes are coming together as one without an extra command as well.

It's just the curve fidelity that is the issue.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd love an AI-like join command ..... I won't even let myself dream of a tool.

Seems I still don´t get it. If I have multiple curves I want to make one and they are apart one from each other the join curves command will establish one open connected curve with additional segments between the openings I can close with the close curve command. If I have multiple curves with snapped endpoints all it takes is to select all with the node-tool and call the join curves command - done. No change of stroke thickness or altering of the connected points. End of line. :D

Cheers

P.

17 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Seems I still don´t get it. ...............If I have multiple curves with snapped endpoints all it takes is to select all with the node-tool and call the join curves command - done. No change of stroke thickness or altering of the connected points. End of line. :D

Cheers

P.

:) Right! On multiple curves! Snapped endpoints! Yup! 

Now try snapping the (curved) endpoints of a single curve.

Edit: For example.

1) draw circle & convert to curves. You now have four nodes right?

2) Break one of them and move one of the points (don't touch any handles).

3) now move that same node back to its original spot. It automatically snaps to (and joins) with it's old partner, but do you have a circle?

19 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Like so?

No. You drew an irregular closed curve.

You need to draw a circle with the Ellipse Tool. This will allow you to see the distortion that occurs at step 3.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

44 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Like so?

JoinEndnodes.gif

You are altering the curve. It's just not that apparent on your shape.

The second snap join (after the close curve (which we aren't discussing here) it's easier to see.

Hold on a sec.... technical difficulties. will be ack with the real gif

(soo... my gif builder seems a little finicky at the moment. Will post the video instead. Here and below.... but will try and, eventually, get the gif going)

@ Alfred.....always a second ahead of me :D.

join ends1.mov

2 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

@ Alfred.....always a second ahead of me :D.

Apologies, @JimmyJack! I only stepped in because I thought you were otherwise occupied. :$

Alfred spacer.png

20 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

I think your super terrific font name is preventing me from using the @ +name thing here.

Well, if you quote me I get a notification anyway, but if you really insist:

Alfred spacer.png

3 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

3) now move that same node back to its original spot. It automatically snaps to (and joins) with it's old partner, but do you have a circle?

I think the fundamental problem with this may be that snapping one end node of an open curve to the location of the other end node should not automatically join the nodes & close the curve. As it is, it not only does that but also eliminates the handle of the moved node (or makes it a "zero length" one, if you prefer to think of it that way).

Personally, I think it should not do any of these things: the joining & closing should be a separate step users could perform using the Close Curve action, but only if they actually want to do that. The way things are now, you can't even avoid the two nodes snapping together, so you can't leave the curve open so you can switch to the Pen Tool & then add more nodes to the curve.

Affinity Photo 

You might want to count into your consideration that a parametric circle is made from 5 nodes and two of them are end points.

Destroying a "perfect" circle isn´t a good idea in my opinion - if you want to restore it use cmd+Z. :6_smile:

Cheers

P.

1 hour ago, PixelPest said:

You might want to count into your consideration that a parametric circle is made from 5 nodes and two of them are end points.

I don't think that is correct. As I understand it, at least in Affinity the beginning & end points of any closed curve is a single node. A parametric circle is closed but like the other parametric shapes it has no nodes unless you convert it to a curve. If you do that it has a single node defining its beginning & end, not two separate ones. To get that you must select the node & use the Break Curve action.

Affinity Photo 

Just now, PixelPest said:

I won´t be parametric if there were just 4 nodes and if you take it as a pie it´s 6 nodes.

Whatever the shape, it won't be parametric if it is defined by nodes, period. Converting shapes to curves literally converts their parameters to nodes that are no longer related to those parameters.

Affinity Photo 

Shapes are parametric if they are defined by parameters instead of by individual nodes, for example the Hole radius, & the Start, End, & Total angle parameters of the Pie Tool or the number of sides & Curve parameters of the Polygon Tool. A circle is  defined geometrically by a single parameter (the radius) & an ellipse by two (the foci).

Converting a parametric shape to a curve creates however many nodes are needed to define that same shape using nodes, for example 8 for a Pie shape with a hole radius but just 5 if the hole radius is set to 0%.

Affinity Photo