You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

SVG Filters

I need to be able to edit the svg's produced by affinity designer.

I would like to animate them and to modify the effects.

One major problem I'm having is that there is just no sensible way to export svg's through designer.

Code Readability

I was pretty upset to discover that the exported code was all exported on a single line, with no options to change the number of required decimal places or to format the code. 

I could cut down the filesize by less than half just by exporting to two decimal places of precision, which is more than enough for web use (in my cases).

Lack of SVG Filters

Svg filters are a must for export options. When applying an outer glow, I could use Affinity's built in tool and get a 100kb file, or use an svg filter in illustrator and get a 2kb file. On top of that, when you rasterize the filter, I can't animate it anymore on the web, which means that I just have to use illustrator to get anything done.

So in summary:

1. Could you please add support for svg filters in your effects panel. I appreciate that you've got a number of very useful effects in there, but if they all get rasterised upon export, their usefulness is significantly reduced.

2. Could you please format the exported svg in a more readable way, or at least have an option to do so. A few line breaks and tabs add almost nothing to the file size, but it makes it far easier to actually read the output file and to make edits to it in code. Also, please allow us to export to a given precision that would be appropriate.

in general, the exporting of svg's just needs work before I can use it in my workflow.

Best regards;

Saivan.

• Staff

We do intend to work on exporting effects as SVG filters - but it's actually really unlikely they would look 100% correct visually. It will definitely have to be an option and you will need to accept that what you were seeing in the application may differ from the actual output slightly.

As for export options - we do have a number of things you can change if you click the 'more' button on the SVG export page, but to be honest I thought we had more than that... we definitely have settings in our exporter for decimal places and I thought these used to be exposed to the user - they aren't at the moment, so I'm sure we can easily make this better. You can definitely tell Affinity to just not rasterise elements so you don't need to go back to Illustrator, but you do need to apply the SVG filter in code (but it sounds like you're more than capable of doing that, so not ideal, but not a showstopper).

Thanks,

Matt

I'm sorry to copy this from another thread that I posted in, but I think it's also very important to have here. 

Another major issue for me are the transformations of groups:

Because of the way designer exports everything. 

Say I had a document structure like this:

• Item A
  • Item B
    • Item B1
    • Item B2
    • Item B3
  • Item C

Say I wanted to move item B around the canvas, this is made very difficult with designer, because it does not allow me to set up relative transforms. What currently happens, is that items B1, B2 and B3 get their transformations "baked in", so basically, ItemB has no translation information, but items B1, B2 and B3 are positioned absolutely, relative to the canvas.

What I would prefer to see, is to see items B1, B2 and B3 positioned relative to the registration point, and then to apply a master transformation to item B to place the registration point in the correct place. 

This is the most sensible behaviour, because then if I wanted to move an object around the canvas, I could achieve that easily, by simply editing the master transformation.

Right now, if I increase the size of the canvas, <B1, B2 and B3> will just be in the wrong place, and that wreaks havoc when trying to apply sensible transformations to the resulting svg.

Any way we could have an option for that?

And what would the time frames be?

Thanks again :)