You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi everybody,

I would like to know your sincere opinion on this RPG-like character. For some reason I feel that something's missing, I'm  a little bit stuck with this one, It doesn't kill me, you know?… perhaps you could help with an extra pair of fresh eyes on this...

I would really, really appreciate your comments :)

FT-2016-014-warrior-001_zpsjobsrp16.jpg

• Frankentoon Studio - Tutorials and Resources for Designer, Photo and Publisher

Follow us on Instagram  |  Follow us on Twitter |  Like us on Facebook

Here is a second take on the same character. This time I feel more happy with the result. You  can comment on it if you please... I won't bite :)

FT-2016-014-warrior-002_zpsgqeot3s6.jpg

• Frankentoon Studio - Tutorials and Resources for Designer, Photo and Publisher

• Staff

Hi Insecto Design,

I prefer the second. It looks more humanistic (face's shape & details and chest while still keeping the overall style). The colour of the hair also strengthens the unity and the additional details gives it a more refined/finished look. The palette is also great (in both). Overall i think it's more solid than the first. But as they say... comment is one thing doing it is another....

• Staff

I definitely prefer the second one! I find the nose and mouth a little strange on the first. I also feel her sword is perhaps a little bit too big - Elves are generally nimble/quick and her sword does not portray that. In fact maybe a bow and arrow would be better suited?

Hi Insecto Design,

I prefer the second. It looks more humanistic...

Thanks a lot for your comment. I went for a more feminine look on the second one... you're right, the first version looks less solid as a whole. 

...In fact maybe a bow and arrow would be better suited?

Yes, you're totally right. To tell you the truth, I used a D&D character sheet to give this character a background... and it happens that she's an 'Elf Paladin' ... that's why I added the massive sword. But as you pointed out, perhaps takes the lightness off of the elvish archetype. I'll definitely try an elbow!

Thanks a lot Sean!

The eyes and the hair in the second picture, does it for me. Unique and distinct...Well done

This first picture looks too much like Zelda's main character: Link

Overall, the first picture is a WIP and the second picture looks a lot better over all.

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

The eyes and the hair in the second picture, does it for me...

Thanks a lot for your comment my friend. I'm working on a couple of these elvish characters and its a little bit challenging to keep away from the clichés, but retaining enough from the archetype to make them easy recognisable :)