You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Suite: French Translation Problem in SVG Export

Version: 2.4.0.2256

Hello everyone,

I would like to point out a serious problem with the translation of export parameters in SVG format. It's not just a matter of errors in meaning, but sometimes results in inconsistent or even incomprehensible translations. I personally spent a considerable amount of time trying to understand the optimisation options, before finally turning to Sean P.'s enlightened explanations, which led me to revert to the English version for greater clarity.

In addition, there seems to be a duplication of the options "Export text as curve", which adds to the confusion.

In the attached document, questionable translations are highlighted in orange, while those requiring immediate revision are marked in red.

svg-export.png.8f1a46ec6a804897c71db92d5aec1cde.png

Below is a translation proposal that is more in line with professional standards.

🔴Export text as curve for font independence = Exporter le texte en courbes pour l’indépendance des fontes (or "Texte en courbe pour s’affranchir des fontes" if you don't solve the problem of the length of the chain.)

🔴kB = ko (note for the translator: both letters ko are in lower case)

🟡Downsample images = Rééchantillonnage des images
🟡Above DPI: = PPP au-delà de : (note for the translator: the three letters PPP are in capitals)
🟡Use DPI: = Résolution PPP : (note for the translator: the three letters PPP are in capitals)

🟡Export text as curves = Exporter le texte sous forme de courbes
🔴Longer text spans = Étendues de texte plus longues (note for the translator: the official W3C translation of "text span" is "Portion de texte", which is appropriate in most cases, "Travée de texte" is sometimes more precise, and "Étendue de texte" is often better suited to complex cases such as this).
Relative coordinates = Coordonnées relatives
Use hex colours = Utiliser des couleurs hexadécimales
Flattern transforms = Aplatir les transformations
🔴Use tile patterns = Utiliser des motifs de tuiles
🔴Set viewbox = Définir la zone d'affichage
Add line breaks = Ajouter des sauts de ligne

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

10 minutes ago, Pyanepsion said:

🔴kB = ko (note for the translator: both letters are in lower case)

That has obviously just been taken over properties wise as is (from v1 times, "Text..." + float/double value + "kB"), since it's also wrong in the english lang UI etc. The abbreviation has to be best all uppercase (KB).

The binary meaning of the kilobyte for 1024 bytes typically uses the symbol KB, with an uppercase letter K. The B is sometimes omitted in informal use. For example, a processor with 65,536 bytes of cache memory might be said to have "64 K" of cache. In this convention, one thousand and twenty-four kilobytes (1024 KB) is equal to one megabyte (1 MB), where 1 MB is 10242 bytes.

The rest must be checked (written and spoken) by native French speakers.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

The abbreviation has to be best all uppercase (KB).

Please note. I was talking about ‘ko’ and ‘PPP’ as they should be written in French, otherwise they mean something else.

Wikipédia : Point par pouce, Octet

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

43 minutes ago, Pyanepsion said:

I was talking about ‘ko’

Ak Ok, therefor I can see these ...

... however, as it currently stands (kB), I wouldn't abbreviate it that way in German/English, instead I would capitalize both letters (KB).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2