You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Revert to original file [Designer]

I have a file I use over and over to make .jpg face textures for my 3D cartoon figures.
I have it set to a base setting no expression.
After I change the objects/curves/nodes. (Eyes closed, mouth open, eyebrows raised etc. )
Is there a simple way after exporting as well as saving to revert back to the original base file?
( I save the file so as not to lose my changes due to a freak crash.) 
Perhaps there isn’t a way to do this, but maybe someone knows a tip or too. or possibly it can be done somehow.
Thanks 
P.S.  the entire file is 62MB. a Designer file.

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.

I'm not sure this is what you're after, but after I have exported/saved a file, I use file>close and choose not to save the changes.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

This sounds like a perfect use for Snapshots.

If you use both AD & AP, you may not have realized AD has a snapshot feature that is a more limited version of the one in AP, since there is no Document > Add Snapshot menu item or an Undo Brush tool in AD.

To use Snapshots in AD, first open the Snapshots Studio Panel (View > Studio > Snapshots). That panel has icons for the Add & Restore Snapshot missing from the main menus, plus Rename & Trash icons for managing the list of snapshots you make with the Add icon.

This should allow you to save & restore not just the base settings but also any other expressions (or whatever) to use as a starting point for new ones, & keep everything in the same document.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Why not put each changes into a  separate group - you can toggle on off for export and have all progress in one file - no?

Cheers

Not sure how this would be done without duplicating objects which I guess will increase the file size.

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.

This sounds like a perfect use for Snapshots.

If you use both AD & AP, you may not have realized AD has a snapshot feature that is a more limited version of the one in AP, since there is no Document > Add Snapshot menu item or an Undo Brush tool in AD.

To use Snapshots in AD, first open the Snapshots Studio Panel (View > Studio > Snapshots). That panel has icons for the Add & Restore Snapshot missing from the main menus, plus Rename & Trash icons for managing the list of snapshots you make with the Add icon.

This should allow you to save & restore not just the base settings but also any other expressions (or whatever) to use as a starting point for new ones, & keep everything in the same document.

Will the snapshots be available in other documents or only the one you did the snap shot in? I'm guessing just the one.

• Staff

Hi uncle808us

If you create a snapshot from the initial object and name if base or something you can then select it and click on New Document From Snapshot icon on the Snapshots panel to create a new document from it. It's not exactly what you want but it may help a little.

There's improvements planned for the Media Browser that will let you save your own objects for reuse - see designer's roadmap - (in whatever documents you wish), and eventually templates will be also available at some point.

I think snap shots are going to be the answer. Thanks.

until:

"There's improvements planned for the Media Browser that will let you save your own objects for reuse - see designer's roadmap - (in whatever documents you wish), and eventually templates will be also available at some point."

Will the snapshots be available in other documents or only the one you did the snap shot in? I'm guessing just the one.

Yes, just the one document but you can revert the document to any of them at any time (there is a list in the Snapshots panel) & like MEB said, you can use the "New document from Snapshot" option to generate new ones, although they will not 'inherent' the snapshots of the original (I think).

So as long as you name each snapshot appropriately (like base, happy face, sad face, etc.) you should be able to consider the snapshot doc as the "master" & use it to create multiple new docs for JPEG exports -- you don't even have to save the new docs if you don't edit them beyond their snapshot version, if that makes any sense.

P.S.: I don't think I have ever used the word "snapshot" this many times in such a short time span before today!  :lol:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7