You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, 

is it possible to automatically align layers or photos? For example if I have 3 photos with 3 different exposures which I shot handhold, so the photos differ slightly. Is there a way to align the photos? 

There doesn't seem to be the possibility to make an HDR, will it be implemented in the future?

• Staff

Hey Asvolas,

You can align images using stacking, there are a couple of tutorial videos that cover how to do this:

Aligning Images and Stacking: Exposure Merging

As you are wanting to merge three separate exposures, at the moment you can only average the exposures using stacking; proper HDR merging is however coming in a future beta, so do keep an eye out for it.

Alternatively, once you've aligned the images, you can always merge the exposures manually - there's a video for that too, Manual Exposure Merging.

Hope that helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

• 2 years later...

is there a way to use this fonction once a picture is loaded and then i add a layer and want to align it to the frst layer ? For exemple, i shot handhold a picture, load it on affinity, shot a new one also handhold, import it using the "File > Place" fonction, and i want to align the new picture with the first one. I found a 1 minute video on youtube to show the exemple of what i'm trying to do : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj5fkY18xE0

21 minutes ago, SebBPhoto said:

is there a way to use this fonction once a picture is loaded and then i add a layer and want to align it to the frst layer ? For exemple, i shot handhold a picture, load it on affinity, shot a new one also handhold, import it using the "File > Place" fonction, and i want to align the new picture with the first one. I found a 1 minute video on youtube to show the exemple of what i'm trying to do : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj5fkY18xE0 

I think you want to use, in Photo, File > New Layer Stack... and after you have loaded your files (perhaps with auto-align set on in the dialog) you may want to go to the layers panel, right-click the group layer, and Ungroup.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...

yes, thanks for the reply, but i want to add a layer once all is loaded and align the new layer with the others. The "New Layer Stack" impose me to create an all new file. i want to take a picture, and load it in affinity. take a new shot, add it as a layer in affinity and then align it to the one existing. once that done, i add a mask layer to the 2nd picture to correct my first picture, take a new shot that correct new stuffs i want to correct (shadow, an object,...), add this shot as a new layer, align the new layer with the all others, and then add a new mask layer, and so on... if i must close all, and reload all each time it's a waste of time for me. photoshop can do it as you can see in the youtube link i've posted, i just wonder if this kind of option have an equivalent in affinity.. i hope this time i explain better what i'm trying to do ..

56 minutes ago, SebBPhoto said:

i just wonder if this kind of option have an equivalent in affinity.. i hope this time i explain better what i'm trying to do ..

I do not think that Affinity Photo has an automatic alignment mode that will do what you want, in the way you want.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 2 years later...

I see two videos are  mentioned but now are not accessible, how can I find them??

On 4/19/2016 at 4:57 PM, James Ritson said:

Hey Asvolas,

You can align images using stacking, there are a couple of tutorial videos that cover how to do this:

Aligning Images and Stacking: Exposure Merging

As you are wanting to merge three separate exposures, at the moment you can only average the exposures using stacking; proper HDR merging is however coming in a future beta, so do keep an eye out for it.

Alternatively, once you've aligned the images, you can always merge the exposures manually - there's a video for that too, Manual Exposure Merging.

Hope that helps!

Are these what you're looking for? They're found in buried thread, of the now Legacy Photo Tutorials.

Aligning Images

Stacking Exposure Merging

Here's the Link to the Legacy: Official Affinity Photo Tutorials

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Michał Bartkowiak said:

How to do this on iPad version? Example: i have couple indor photos with bracket and with flash. Befor editing I need to auto align them. 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Please repost your question in the iPad Questions section of the forum, to get the best answers.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 month later...

Exactly what I needed, thank you!

I now have a set of images as described - but as they are frames for a time lapse video, there are rather a lot of them.

Is there a way to automatically export all the images in one go please, rather than manually working through the list?

Nick