BatteriesInc

AD: SVG import issue with Freemind SVG file

Hi,

Came across something interesting: AD seems to have a problem with a Freemind SVG export.  Just to check I loaded the SVG into another SVG capable program (Artboard), and that seemed fine after ungrouping the import.  That suggests the issue is not the SVG file but rather what Affinity Designer does with it.

Please find attached

1 - a Freemind file (made with version 1.1.0 beta 2)

2 - a screenshot of what it looks like on screen in Freemind itself

3 - the exported SVG of that file

4 - a screenshot of what Artboard makes of that SVG file

5 - a screenshot of what Affinity Designer makes of it.

(and yes, I know there is a spelink misteake in it :) )

It appears somewhere along the line something goes awry..

Cheers!

AD demo.mm.zip

post-27302-0-33769500-1461062117_thumb.jpg

AD demo.svg

post-27302-0-76073600-1461062159_thumb.jpg

post-27302-0-06412200-1461062206_thumb.jpg

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

Hiya,

You are correct, it does indeed look like we are struggling to read this file correctly.

I believe we already have an issue logged relating to this, I'm going to look into a bit further. There are a few file specific issues that cover text importing from svg, I will add your file to them for additional testing.

If you'd like to manually fix this file for now, you can ungroup the Data layers and delete the curve from inside them, that will make the text appear in the correct position.

Thanks for taking the time to report this.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Hi BatteriesInc,

In addition to what Jon has said it appears as though Affinity is failing to read the 'Clip Path section of the SVG correctly. In your document Affinity is clipping the text but is not off-setting the clip, so all clipped regions are appearing at 0,0 (and the text appears outside of that). If you look inside Affinity you will notice all the text has a Curve object (see attached screenshot) that is cropping it; deleting this will allow the text to become visible again. Alternatively if you are familiar at manually editing an SVG you can remove each section that looks like this <clipPath clipPathUnits="userSpaceOnUse" id="clipPath1"/></clipPath> which are found from Line 8 to 55 (not forgetting the closing > on line 56). This will then allow the text to appear correctly when opened in Affinity.

In the screenshot the left most square indicates the clipping path in the incorrect location, the middle square demonstrates where the text is and the third square shows the cropping area that needs to be removed (just select that cropping indicator and press delete).

post-37-0-99059900-1461063656_thumb.png

Apologies for spotting these responses so late - I must work out how to make following posts automatically (if at all possible) :)

Thanks for checking this, and for possible ways to bypass the issue.  Thankfully it was just a test for later work, so I'm happy to wait for a fix - I just figured it was worth flagging it as something that needs checking.

Cheers!

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.