mshakeshaft

The Difference between PPI and DPI - Please get it right!

Why in the Document resize window is the resolution referred to as DPI, when it should be PPI

DPI is Dots per inch, which is a measurement of PRINT resolution. PPI is Pixels per inch is image resolution and what it should be. This is a fundamental error.

For credibility reasons this needs to be changed.

post-29849-0-12691100-1461016092_thumb.png

...and what if you are creating a document for print that is not measured in pixels?

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

...and what if you are creating a document for print that is not measured in pixels?

That should be done in the print options menu. It is simply confusing to have it here and wrong it refers to ppi and not dpi. This dialogue box is for image output (not print). It defaults to 72 dots per inch....think about it, it would look pretty bad! 

Why in the Document resize window is the resolution referred to as DPI, when it should be PPI

DPI is Dots per inch, which is a measurement of PRINT resolution. PPI is Pixels per inch is image resolution and what it should be. This is a fundamental error.

For credibility reasons this needs to be changed.

I agree, strongly.

Hi mshakeshaft,

I agree this should also be changed - I shall pass your feedback onto the developers!

Thanks for letting us know!

Sean P, my hero!  The first moderator I've seen who agrees!  Thank you, sir.

Is there a document for print that is measured in pixels?  Are there papers measured in pixels?  Can I get tea in a 20 pixel cup?  The document size has almost nothing to do with the print size, so DPI just doesn't make any sense.  No professional print project from a digital file created at 300 PPI should *EVER* be *printed* at 300 DPI, it would look absolutely terrible.  So, there is no reason to describe the digital file in terms of DPI, accept to allow the people ignorant about DPI to continue being ignorant about DPI.  (With respect, sir, it's absurd.)