You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Refund for Affinity Photo purchase

Dear Serif Team,

Is it possible to get a refund for Photo application?

I did purchase 3 days ago. Unfortunately there are too many problems with the application what force me to switch back to adobe products. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello Sobi.  Me, David, is not on staff.  Just a simple minded user of AP.    

I also had issues.  Won't go into them.  And you can find them in the questions and in the help areas.

After much help from strawberry monkey, and probably 13 others, I have learned to use AP.  Now that I know (I think I do) AP,     I just cannot visualize returning to PS CS5, and LR 6.5.   

PS CS5 and LR 6.5 are still in my workflow, secondary to AP.  Couple of things I do is easier with PS CS5.

My earlier posts......well, just look at them.   Now I have mellowed.   NO!   I don't smoke anything.

Staff and members are of great help.

youtube as well as facebook, have excellent tutorials.    Some authors make exceedingly fast presentations and I have had to repeat them several times to learn what they are presenting.

Kind Regards,

David 

I must say - being a Photoshop 1 to CS6 user. I can't imagine going back. there are certain things I know that will be implemented, but with all the products they are trying to produce I know it will delay things. But for the price.. I mean dang - the THOUSANDS I have spent on Adobe.. I know I will not be able to grow with a small company and get decent response times on issues. 

• Staff

Hi sobe,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Can you tell us which problems are you having with the application that are preventing you from working with it?

Anything we can help with? Really appreciate if you can leave your feedback.

All refunds are managed directly by Apple. Soon you should receive an invoice on your email associated to you Apple ID where you can find a link labeled Report a Problem right below the item. Click on it and follow the instructions to get a refund. Alternatively go to this link and proceed from there.

Can you tell us which problems are you having with the application that are preventing you from working with it?

Anything we can help with? Really appreciate if you can leave your feedback.

All refunds are managed directly by Apple. Soon you should receive an invoice on your email associated to you Apple ID where you can find a link labeled Report a Problem right below the item. Click on it and follow the instructions to get a refund. Alternatively go to this link and proceed from there.

MEB, thanks for explanation, I will follow recommended path with Apple.

The main show stopper for me is Develop Persona and its destructive process, with no option to save the development settings.

I am also not so happy with a quality of RAW processing (I have compared to ACR and Iridient results), e.g. how shadows boost works for Olympus ORF files. BTW, what is strange some tools from Develop Persona are better implemented in Photo Persona (e.g. Post Crop Vignette, Shadow and Highlights), providing better quality and level of control.

Lots of minor glitches in UI, e.g. tools don't remember settings, export window doesn't remember the size of last export etc. Inconsistencies in UX, e.g double click on view or zoom tools buttons provides nice quick zoom (known from PS), nice but this work only in Photo Persona, does not in Develop etc.

Lack of lens profiles and automatic upright/perspective correction is some disadvantage for my workflow (tons of architecture to process).

Photo is a great application, I am impressed how good work is done by Serif. However, it still needs some development effort to say it's pro grade tool to fully replace adobe in my workflow. It does not make sense to work with Photo and still keep Adobe Photography Plan to address some part of the work. I will check out your next releases of Affinity tool to get back to Photo as soon as it gets more mature.

It would be nice to have more than 10 days of trial to fully test such complex and feature reach application.

David4, SurJones, thanks for your points, I am pretty sure there is a great community offering support for the application. I hope it will be developed fast, so I can switch back to Photo soon and discard subscription based software I really hate :)

The way I see it, you have spent your money, there is considerable mass amount of backers of this new software, they have already said improvements are coming, mind you free for a long time, do you really need your money back? You have good points all have been documented before, but let it sit in your apps folder a while, while it gets better. You'll be glad you did! Besides, this is only version 1.

sobi, I agree with you.   No contest.  What I have done, is, accommodate to these issues.   Color management is my biggest issue.

I benefit from the way Lanczos 3 non-separable can create a larger image file without the blemishes introduced by 

on1's perfect resize.   I still use on1's gallery wrap.   

After much help from strawberry monkey, and probably 13 others, I have learned to use AP.  Now that I know (I think I do) AP,     I just cannot visualize returning to PS CS5, and LR 6.5.   

PS CS5 and LR 6.5 are still in my workflow, secondary to AP.  Couple of things I do is easier with PS CS5.

My earlier posts......well, just look at them.   Now I have mellowed.   NO!   I don't smoke anything.

Staff and members are of great help.

youtube as well as facebook, have excellent tutorials.    Some authors make exceedingly fast presentations and I have had to repeat them several times to learn what they are presenting.

Kind Regards,

David 

Thanks for the mention, glad to know the support is appreciated. Nice to see you have you "mellowed out"  :)  :D  :lol:

Allan

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

I agree that the Develop persona's in ability to store development settings for later revision is a problem, which is why I use Lightroom for cataloging and RAW processing.  LR does non-destructively store your edits in the catalog.  I would say that 90% of my work used to be done in LR alone, and only occasionally slipping into Photoshop CS5 for specific needs that couldn't be handled in LR.  Now that I have grown more comfortable with Affinity, I would say that 75% of my work is in LR and I often find myself jumping into Affinity to enhance an image.  It's so easy and so much less expensive than Photoshop, especially as CS5 seems to be increasingly outdated.  I am thrilled with the fact that MEB and other moderators are here on the forum responding daily to user inquiries, and I expect that Affinity will address issues we raise here.  I am looking forward to their promised Digital Asset Mangement program, and hope that it will replace LR completely, allowing us to work more seemlessly in an Affinity environment.  As Adobe presses us more and more into the Creative Cloud, I am looking for the way to escape them.

I am not an expect by any means.

As Conrad2k stated above I spent most of my time in LR. I found that being able to sync many images with the same settings was very useful, however in every case each one of the photos required tweeking. Unless one is developing many of the same photos it isn't something that I rely on.

I was at odds with the Develop Personna at first as well, but I know that if you really want to learn about a piece of software, one must use it, experiment with it, and not dump it after a short time. If ones job requires that you continue to use familiar software, i.e. Adobe, then use it but take time to help develop this great software.

I am getting pretty good at the Develop Personna and know when to spend a lot of time in there and not so much.

I find now that I don't start with LR as much except to use it to find a photo I want to develop. I am not impressed with AP's viewer. That is just an annoyance and I know it will get better. So I will not throw out the baby with the bath water.

So I am sorry to see you go Sobi, because three days is not enough. I have found that the App Store version has problems but the beta versions have mostly taken care of those and provided a great deal of stability.

When I first started I was doing a lot of crashing and faithfully sent the data thru Apple to serif. Most the crashes were generated by myself trying out things that I thought might work and now they do.

I am a teacher, a math and comp sc teacher and one of the most important things that I need to impress on my students is that failure leads to answers, which leads to success.

I read something the other day about Elon Musk and his desire to land his reusable rocket on the barge called 'of course I still love you'.

With each unsuccessful landing the data of the crash taught them something new and they finally nailed it.

Sorry for my passionate rant but I believe in this product.

I am a teacher, a math and comp sc teacher and one of the most important things that I need to impress on my students is that failure leads to answers, which leads to success.

I read something the other day about Elon Musk and his desire to land his reusable rocket on the barge called 'of course I still love you'.

With each unsuccessful landing the data of the crash taught them something new and they finally nailed it.

Sorry for my passionate rant but I believe in this product.

Some have not the time or money of Elon Musk and want back their money. Some users gave too much love and time into things that do not fit or work for them. Hope is not a perfect product.

Interesting answer to my post Oval. Most users don't have the money of Elon Musk however many have the vision. I brought up the subject not to comment on his money but how we learned.

It is too bad you misread my comments so wrongly. I didn't say at anytime not to ask for the money back. And in my words, "If ones job requires that you continue to use familiar software i.e. Adobe, then use it …", is not telling anyone to to put their livelihood at risk.

I can't afford to pay the monthly fees that Adobe is fleecing its customers with.

And thanks to all innovators that had/have a vision and a hope to do something great but were told by others that it would never work.

Interesting answer to my post Oval. … It is too bad you misread my comments so wrongly.…

No answer, not misread. Just jazz improvisation. If someone has visions, he perhaps needs an optician. But people like sobi need professional apps that work without restrictions like missing text styles or PS path import. People who bought AD and AP because APub was announced for 2015 cannot use the scheduled suite before 2017. They cannot tell their clients: thanks for the money, but it needs some more time for a baseline grid. Elon Musk can do, because he has the money and time to dream. Serif can dream because purchasers hope the apps could replace standard apps in future and because they report bugs and needed features.  

I will not throw out the baby with the bath water.

Some users gave too much love and time into things that do not fit or work for them. Hope is not a perfect product.

Serif deserves some kind of support (or at least sympathy) as it is the only company at this moment that can be a game changer on the market of creative tools, dominated by one big monopolist. On the other hand, its just a business, company is investing its own money in product development expecting future profits. So why we should pay for products that we can't use to support our own business or hobbies? Still, I believe we can support Affinity some other way, helping other users in the internet community, maybe translating resources to local languages, creating some assets that can be used with the Photo, creating tutorials, spreading knowledge or good words about tool etc  

It is always a big pressure for company to enable revenue stream asap, balancing what level of product maturity can be accepted by end users. The problem is there are various groups of users. Early adopters and enthusiasts that are willing to play with whatever is a nice tool or just a "toy", professionals that expect smooth UX supporting their productivity and business critical workflow etc 

I compiled list of various gaps I have found during my testing, points I have identified as a showstoppers, pain points or nice to have features. I hope it is going to help me to re-test quickly the next releases. 

I personally can accept software at early stages of its development when I know what is a developer's ability to address gaps in reasonable future. To make better buy/no buy decision it would be helpful to have two things in place:

• roadmap with committed estimated dates, to understand if feature or fix I am waiting for will be delivered next month or next year (I know dates in development can change but roadmap can be updated any time if needed).
  • change log for beta releases, I am testing beta to see what from my list of "pain points" has been addressed or is being under development, so I can see what is expected from next version.

• Staff

Hi sobi,

Thanks for your feedback.

Affinity Photo is a new application and is still in its infancy. It's already very capable for some users/markets, but for others depending heavily of Adobe apps, it may not be enough. There wasn't yet enough time to cover and polish all features these apps with several years of development offer, so it's a little unrealistic to expect it to replace them at such an early stage. The dev team is moving as fast as it can to close those gaps but with apps with this complexity it takes time to get there. There's also no point in rushing things just to meet deadlines sacrificing quality. In the end nobody will be happy with the results.

We already provide roadmaps for both Affinity apps (Photo and Designer) however we don't disclose any estimated dates. It's quite hard to predict them in software development (there's always bumps in the road) and changing/updating them is not a solution because people tend to rely on them for decisions (even being just estimates) and get upset/disappointed when they are changed.

We also provide logs for each beta release. The last logs were smaller because they were just incremental bug-fixes and didn't introduce any news. But if you look/search for older betas you will see both mew features and changes detailed.

Soon a new Beta cycle will start (1.5) which again will introduce and improve on features users have been asking for and giving feedback. It probably will not fulfil all requests but we are getting closer as we move forward.

{...} To make better buy/no buy decision it would be helpful to have two things in place:

• roadmap with committed estimated dates, to understand if feature or fix I am waiting for will be delivered next month or next year (I know dates in development can change but roadmap can be updated any time if needed).

Depending on how you look at it, "committed estimated dates" is either an oxymoron or meaningless. Either way, it makes no sense to rely on that sort of thing for buying decisions. At best, estimates are nothing more than educated guesses, & can change at any time for a variety of reasons.

In practical terms, say Affinity estimated some feature or fix should be available about one month from today, someone bought the app on that basis, & then two weeks later the estimate was updated to two or three months. I very much doubt that buyer would find this helpful.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

"We also provide logs for each beta release"

MEB, thanks for hints regarding change logs, I have found it for 1.4.2 b4 but can't manage to get one for 1.5 (probably not published yet?).

What is a chance some improvements will be introduced to raw conversion engine and develop persona in 1.5 please?

"we don't disclose any estimated dates. It's quite hard to predict them in software development"

We are talking about software engineering, not magic :) Yes, it is quite hard yet doable, assuming road map is a high level document, on months, quarters or higher. I am pretty sure you do plan your development internally for project and product management purposes, but I can understand that disclosing dates is a tricky topic for other reasons. If you don't communicate any timeline, even roughly, on quarter level, then the road map is rather useless, you can put on it any feature people could ever dream about and they can wait years to be implemented :) IMO, for buyers it makes a difference if some feature/fix is now under DEV or QA, planned for 2016Q2 or queued 2017Q1 or later...

• Staff

Hi sobi,

No, Beta 1.5 wasn't released yet.

I wasn't referring just to the engineering part specifically. There's also market changes, events or simply users requests/needs that for one reason or another may dictate a change on what's planned. Regarding the ETAS: when Affinity apps were launched we stated they would be updated during two years from their launch date. The features listed the roadmap should respect that timeframe.

• 8 months later...

The App Store is saying my purchase of 1.5 is ineligible for a refund. Please advise? I bought 1.5 yesterday (there unfortunately wasn't a trial for 1.5 yet, but I know Affinity has a 30 day guarantee) and unfortunately, it isn't performing to my expectations. I will be sticking with Photoshop and Lightroom / Capture 1.

Please advise. Thank you.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, euclidpb said:

I didn't see the free trial either, my bad....

You should  probably continue in the topic you started, rather than going back to one that's a year or two old :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1