You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

With AP do I need Light Room?

I have had Affinity Photo for a few months now and finally bought a camera that is not an iphone (Fuji XT1 with 10-24mm for real Estate photography).

Having never used Light Room does AP cover all that Light Room does specifically relating to Real Estate photos?

thanks in advance

Hi Amnesia,

What features specifically do you need for real estate photography?

I've taken landscape, portraits, product, and street photography and Affinity Photo has all I need. I still have LR and go back to it occasionally mainly because it has a built in way of cataloging and rating, organising your pics which I was using before Affinity Photo so right now its gonna be difficult to transfer all this over but i'm sure that will happen when Affinity release their D.A.M software. In the mean time there are other solutions of storing your pics on the Mac and i've made a few tutorials regarding that.

Other than that they have very similar features, in fact the benefit for me in using Affinity Photo is that I can use tools like the imprinting brush to erase anything that's distracting from my photo and edit all within one app, yes LR does have some tools but they don't work as great as they do in Affinity Photo for me.

I'm not a real estate photographer, yes i've seen the end results and from what i've seen Affinity Photo would cover what you needed, but if you had a specific need or question do ask.

Allan

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

• Staff

Hi Amnesia,

Affinity Photo does not have DAM feature that Lightroom has but we will be releasing a Affinity DAM app in the future and at the moment I am not aware of the features that this app will have or if it can import profiles from Lightroom.

When I bought the Fujifilm XT1 and the 10 -24mm lens the guy in the shop said that you can add some kind of plug ins???? and Light Room will adjust to you camera??? Sorry for being totally vague but this is all so new. I wanted to see if Affinity Photo can do this as well.

When I bought the Fujifilm XT1 and the 10 -24mm lens the guy in the shop said that you can add some kind of plug ins???? and Light Room will adjust to you camera??? Sorry for being totally vague but this is all so new. I wanted to see if Affinity Photo can do this as well.

Not sure what he is referring to.  I know with Lightroom you can buy and add preset looks which give your images a certain look which could be done manually anyway in either software it just saves time for some. As for LR adjusting to your camera, not sure I understand that either, there are lens correction profiles in LR but as far as i'm aware they get updated when Adobe updates the software. Affinity Photo also allows for lens correction...

Anyway, moving forward what's your process once you've taken your picture? What are you trying to achieve, What's the final output? for example do you need to crop, do you need to remove an object from the photo, are you just adjusting the exposure, contrast etc. When you import your photo is it not looking right?

It's fine being new to it all, you're in a great place using the Affinity apps and there is a great support network on here as well. So if you have specific questions or not sure, continue to ask. But I think you'll be just fine with what Affinity has to offer....

Allan

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

AP's raw processing is very limited at present, but that will change. Currently, LR's raw editor is superior in all respects in my view. That said, there are alternatives for RAW development but you need to consider whether you need DAM functionality as well. For DAM stuff you could use Adobe Bridge as it is now a free download - it does not include a raw editor though.