You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ditching Adobe for Affinity Cataloguing?

At the moment it does not appear that there is a cataloguing system available in Affinity, although I note that it is possibly in the pipeline, so how do folk currently catalogue their photos? I wonder if anyone is using the Apple app 'Photos' or what else can folk suggest? My aim is to eventually get rid of Lightroom which at the moment I use to catalogue my images. 

Andrew-Bede

It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

I wanted an App that didn't use a database.  I wanted an App that would work directly with the directory structure and files.

I found that in the Slides App. 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/slides/id825754391?mt=12

I have actually stress tested this App pretty hard, and it does take a lot to bring her down.  It has to be able to read the folder each time, and I expected that delay.  Not having a normalized database in the middle. It isn't bad though, and the display, sorting, and viewing options are outstanding.  I don't have to worry about some database, and organization is reflected directly by my directory structure.  Viewing various levels of directories is easy.  Overall I am very happy with this program, and would highly recommend it.

Thanks crabtree for this, it certainly looks as though it could fit the bill. It wonder if you could outline your workflow from image capture through processing in Affinity to exporting to Slides? That would be helpful. Cheers,

Andrew-Bede

It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

I am no professional, so my workflow is pretty light.  I have my photos grouped by category.  So I have templates for 3D modeling, textures, blueprints. I also group my photos by date and or subject area.  Tags are supported so subgrouping is pretty easy.  One thing many people overlook in a MAC, CMD-Drag will move a file across all paths.  So in Slides when you just drag a file over, the default is to make a copy.  This is nice when I want to organize photos for an idea or project.  But many times I am looking to reorganize and I wanted to move files not copy them, the CMD-Drag works wonders.  You can drag photos from the display, or open with. Since there is no database, changes are immediate, although I try and never overwrite my original.

The only problem the last time I checked is that just like the media viewer in Affinity, it doesn't view Affinity files. And it is primarily focused on pixel formats, so I don't believe it will recognize EPS, or SVG files either. 

At the moment it does not appear that there is a cataloguing system available in Affinity, although I note that it is possibly in the pipeline, so how do folk currently catalogue their photos? I wonder if anyone is using the Apple app 'Photos' or what else can folk suggest? My aim is to eventually get rid of Lightroom which at the moment I use to catalogue my images. 

Andrew-Bede

Hi, 

I came up with a few tutorials that look at alternative ways of storing your pics here and here and finally here

Hope this helps,

Allan

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials