You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I understand that in your Paragraph dialogue box you use "spacing" rather than "leading." Having said that, I have a very peculiar problem in that I set the spacing in one Frame Text and extend the box vertically to accommodate two lines of text, each line of only two words in caps. It is actually a note on a map, on top of a larger rectangle of color, all under the same main layer. The two lines of text are wrapped with only a space between the last word on the first line and the first word on the second line. This works fine.

However, when I enlarge the boxes vertically (text box and rectangle) and keep typing, the leading between the second and third line is much reduced. If I make a copy of that text box with the underlying color rectangle and change text a totally, simply typing the new text in the same box  over the top of highlighted old text, the leading now becomes reduced between the first and second lines. I must increase the leading/spacing from my original 48 pts to 60 pts to get the same appearance of line spacing. Both boxes use the "Exactly" setting.

Having highlighted all the lines and each line in all of these cases I have carefully checked all of the settings in both the Character and Paragraph dialogue boxes. They are precisely the same. 

Is this a know problem in AD, or might it be some hidden setting or conflict between the Character and Paragraph? I don't believe so since the font size, leading/spacing, and all of the other settings are exactly the same in both dialogue boxes. 

Thanks for any word on this.  BTW, I've been working in AD now for months and it is difficult to say just what a big relief to use such a user-friendly program (after Freehand, Illustrator, etc.). Thanks for all the work!

Here is a simple one showing the entire highlighted text, the font, font size and spacing/leading. Note that the spacing between the 2nd and 3rd lines is less that between the 1st and 2nd lines, which is what I would like to have throughout. Thanks!

post-26893-0-83585600-1460909602_thumb.png

Looking at the problem again I now believe that the 60 pt spacing in my other text boxes is correct and that something is wrong in the example I attached above. That one was an import (copy/paste) from my earlier Illustrator doc. There must be some unseen artifact in it that is causing the first two lines (48 pt) to appear as 60 pt. Thus I do not think that it is an AD problem but a left over from Illustrator. I'll simply have to replace the imported text boxes with those made in AD. 

Thanks much for the offer look at the above problem. I regret that I deleted the text box with the problem (it was imported from Illustrator), and simply created new text boxes in AD. These are now working fine. If I run across this again, I'll let you know.