You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Odd fringing effect after attempted creation of sky mask

Hi,

I have been trying to create a sky mask layer, very similar to the method outlined in the video tutorial 'Layer Masks'. However after doing this I am getting a very ugly bright blue border outlining my main subject (see attached photo). I have tried to use the defringe tool to remedy this without success. Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone have suggestions as to how I can get rid of this?

Thanks

post-29799-0-24800800-1460814948_thumb.jpg

• Staff

Hi vigvetrivel,

Welcome to the forum.

The defying tool is designed to work an a single image rather than the edge of two layers.

To reduce the level of border outline use the refine button in the selection tool and in the refine options reduce the border width and apply a small amount of feather and using the refine brush go around the edge of your selection and this soften the mask. Also after adding the new sky background you can use the blur tool to soften the edges further.