You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am also having this problem.  Designer tracks the projects I've opened only for a while, but then after I've closed and opened the application a few times, the list of recents gets cleared.  I've been able to repeat this several times.

So, while the list of recents does populate, it just won't stay there very long.  This makes "Open recent" pretty much useless, not to mention very annoying since I need to open files from more than one place.

Also, the Recent items option in the System Preferences is set to 10.  I've tried changing this setting, to no avail.

My other applications seem to work fine regarding the recent document history.

• Staff

Hi fwoomp,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I never noticed this in Yosemite however i reset/install the app several times for testing purposes.

Are you aware of any specific steps to repeat that behaviour or just noticed that it clears the list from time to time?

Which OS X version are you running?

I'm running Yosemite/10.10.5.

Here are the steps I've done:

1.  Open AD.  Right now, my list of recents is empty (except for "Clear Menu").

2.  Open one or more files.  The file(s) will then show up in the list.

3.  Close AD.

4.  Open AD again.  Sometimes the list persists, but sometimes it doesn't.  It didn't this time.

I ran these steps a second time, and the list stayed.  However, after I closed it again and opened it back up, the list was gone.

Now I'm going through the steps a third time, and the list is not clearing yet...ah, here we go.  It's pretty unpredictable.

I'm looking for a pattern...hmmm...it just seems random.  On my fourth time through, the list is holding up through many iterations.  Ah, now it's been cleared.  I think I opened/closed a dozen times.  Sometimes it only takes a couple of iterations.

Now on my fifth run, I'm changing things up a bit.  I'm launching AD from the dock.  So far, the list is staying put.  Hmmm.  Could it make a difference how I launch it?  From the Launchpad, I've seen the list get cleared.  Hmmm, now it's not clearing at all.

I primarily use Overflow to launch my applications, but that doesn't seem to explain anything.  As of now, the list of recents is holding up.

Very weird.  At this point, I'm guessing there was some sort of confusion (whether within AD or within the OS, I don't know) affecting its knowledge of recently used files.  Perhaps I've somehow managed to straighten something out after testing this so many times just now.  Maybe launching it from the dock made AD happy in some way, for once and for all.  Or maybe whatever clears the list just hasn't happened yet.  I'll post again after a while.

Now back to learning how to use AD to its fullest potential...  :-)  (I'm more of a programmer and not particularly design-minded, so this will be a bit of a challenge for me.)

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I had got this working, but now today's project won't stick in the list of recents.  I have other recent files listed, but never this one after I close and re-open AD.  This "Open Recent" function is being non-existent and useless for me now.  I have to use the Open... dialog and navigate to this file, every time.

@MEB, have you been able to recreate any of this?

Interesting...I pinned AD to the Dock, closed/opened it, opened the file, and now it sticks!  It seems to be an issue with how the application is being opened.  I use Overflow to launch most of my stuff.  See if you can recreate this problem with something like that.

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

Hi Shoogles,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Check macOS System Preferences, General tab, Recent Items dropdown almost on the bottom. Is it set to None? If so set the value you want. 

If that's not the case then something else must be going on. Just let me know. It's weird that it's working for you in Designer and not on Photo.

Hi MEB, and thanks for the reply.

I've checked where you suggest.  It is indeed set to zero, which is odd, since I can see a list of recent items in, for example, Microsoft Word.  Nothing daunted, I changed it from 'None' to '10', shut it off, opened up some files in AP, (just to test) and then closed and re-opened AP.   Open Recent still offered me 'Clear Menu' as the only option. So I checked System Props again and found that it had reverted to 'None'.  How very odd!   Perhaps it needs me to reboot.