You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Hello Team,

I am not sure what you can do with that, or what data I can provide, but I have just tried the newest beta(2.4.0.2240) on my rather old PC/Windows/i5_6thgen and it is unbelievably slow. My setup did not change, neither the usual software running in the background, but the 2.3.1 version runs a lot faster - even when using the project created in the beta version, with all the same layers.

I noticed it when using inpainting brush in 100% zoom. When not zoomed it was OK, or not noticeable, but after zooming in it gets very slow.

Best regards,

Pawel

38 minutes ago, pawl_s said:

Hello Team,

I am not sure what you can do with that, or what data I can provide, but I have just tried the newest beta(2.4.0.2240) on my rather old PC/Windows/i5_6thgen and it is unbelievably slow. My setup did not change, neither the usual software running in the background, but the 2.3.1 version runs a lot faster - even when using the project created in the beta version, with all the same layers.

I noticed it when using inpainting brush in 100% zoom. When not zoomed it was OK, or not noticeable, but after zooming in it gets very slow.

Best regards,

Pawel

Try closing the Layers panel and continuing work on your layer.

• Staff

Hey pawl_s,

May I ask what specifically is slow? Is it brushing/painting, are objects lagging when dragging around the canvas etc? 

Are you able to do a quick screen recording at all?

We have recently logged an issue where having the Layers Panel visible can cause brush strokes to not draw correctly. I believe this is why debraspicher has suggested closing the Layers Panel. 

Hi debraspicher, Chris,

I was a little too fast stating that v2.3 is not slow, I have just rechecked and it also lags, but not as bad as the v2.4. Attached can you find the screen recording. (it is my photo of my wife). I just used inpainting brush in this video. At fit zoom and at 100%. It was also similar when using clone brush, I did not do any other tests.

Hiding Layers Panel did not improve it, unfortunately.

But now I come to conclusion, that my PC might be too old for the task ;)

• Staff

Hey pawl_s,

I've just used a similar-sized raw image in RGB 16 and it takes about 2 or 3 seconds for a 90px Inpainting brush to carry out a small task. This is on a relatively new RTX 3080 machine.

I reduced the resolution slightly to 3000 px and RGB8 and the Inpainting brush is much quicker. Typically about 1 or 2 seconds.

So my results are not too different from your own.

Hi Chris,

my concern not much related to the time the Inpaiting Brush needed for the job, but more that I started to paint 0:25, the red mask appeared at 0:34 and after that the Inpainting Brush window appears (not visible on video, somehow not everything is captured with "Windows+Alt+R") and finishes work at 0:50.

It looks for me to either to stay with 2.3, which is slightly faster, so I can work with that, or to upgrade the PC ;)

Thanks for checking the issue, it can be closed.

Best regards,

Pawel