You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Editable Text in PSD Export

Hi,

a great feature in terms of compatibility would be editable Text in PSD-Export. 

I try to make the switch to do my Website and UI Layouts in Affinity Designer, but often I need to send the Files to someone else who dont have AD. 

When I export the Layouts to a PSD, all the Folders and Shapes stay editable but the main important Element, the Text, get rastered. 

So it would be great if the Textboxes stayed editable in PSD Export.

• 1 month later...

I am really looking forward to the Windows Beta and hope you will add this feature of editable text PSD export. 

Right now I'm using Illustrator for my layouts and nor do my clients use Illustrator neither does the Illustrator PSD Export preserve editability of forms, layer effects and so on. Only text is editable. 

If Affinity Designer is capable of exporting PSDs and preserving border radius, shadows, fills, gradients, borders and text areas, that would make it possible to hand out proper PSDs to my clients (agencies, who then use tools like Avocode or Zeplin to measure and extract things). 

Thanks in advance.

• Staff

Hi murray, Wiredframe,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The PSD format is a proprietary format developed/owned by Adobe. The documentation/specs available are quite limited / incomplete and as such is quite difficult to support all of its features.

Affinity offers a robust PSD imported/exporter that's constantly being improved, but don't expect absolute full PSD compatibility. As said earlier editable text export should be implemented in a future version but i don't think it will be ready for version 1.5 however I may be wrong on this.

Hi MEB, thanks for your reply. I don't expect perfect PSD export by any means, really, I only hope that I can finally get rid of Illustrators REALLY BAD PSD export. I mean, it's a proprietary file format Adobe should be able to handle. But I need 9 steps to export a layered PSD from AI but it doesn't keep layer fills, gradients, shadows, border radius or borders editable OR inspectable. But how can I tell the frontend developers to code my layouts properly if they cant even see the simplest properties of an object. 

I already saw that Affinity Designer does export layer effects, is there any limitation right now? Like border-radius or something?

BTW, are you planning to extend the export persona to add measuring distances and sizes like the Adobe Extract feature, or Zeplin for Sketch? 

Thanks! I'm eagerly waiting for the Windows Beta :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again, 

so, unexpectedly I switched to OSX so I'm now using the even more awesome Mac Beta of Affinity Designer. I would really LOVE to use Designer in our agency but one single bug makes this impossible for now. Editable text in PSDs are very important and beside the border radius of rectangles the only gap to have a perfect Illustrator replacement and hand over PSDs to the devs who all use Avocode to make the templates.

So again, I really want to encourage you to make this happen. Really. It would make my working life so much better :-) 

Hi again :-)

that's really all I wanted to hear. As long as its coming I'm OK. Bought Designer yesterday and will buy Photo too. Can't tell you how glad I am to use your awesome apps! 

EDIT: Or maybe even Sketch export?  :lol: